MAYO - MN resident rejected twice pre-interview.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hildaluc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and I'm talking about the phone interview! WTF? Isn't there a whole thread about MN, FL, and AZ residents getting automatic phone interviews? Why? Why? Why?

Please - tell me this has happened to someone else!

Members don't see this ad.

hildaluc said:
...and I'm talking about the phone interview! WTF? Isn't there a whole thread about MN, FL, and AZ residents getting automatic phone interviews? Why? Why? Why?

Please - tell me this has happened to someone else!

I'm a FL resident and was rejected pre-phone interview.

bwells46 said:
I'm a FL resident and was rejected pre-phone interview.

Do you have any idea what this is based on? I feel like crap after everyone saying that all MN residents get a phone interview and then I just get the shaft.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, it happened to me too. I am a MN resident and was rejected twice with no phone interview!!

You're not the only one. MN resident rejected pre-phone interview with 3.75 gpa and 35R MCAT. Not stellar, but thought it was good enough for the phone interview. This one hurt. First rejection and it's where I wanted to go most.... My PS must suck.

what do you mean rejected "twice"? How do you get rejected twice? In two cycles or one?

lexy10 said:
what do you mean rejected "twice"? How do you get rejected twice? In two cycles or one?
I was wondering the same thing.

Also, I think it is now obvious that whoever said all MN, FL, AZ residents were given an auto phone interview was wrong. I'm sorry you all got rejected. I am still waiting on news from Mayo, but I will be upset if I get the very thin letter because it is my top choice too. Don't let it get you down for too long though, and good luck in the rest of the process. :luck:

newguy357 said:
You're not the only one. MN resident rejected pre-phone interview with 3.75 gpa and 35R MCAT. Not stellar, but thought it was good enough for the phone interview. This one hurt. First rejection and it's where I wanted to go most.... My PS must suck.

How is that NOT stellar?

Mayo is such an interesting school... no doubt a 35 and 3.75 is a stellar package everywhere else... what kind of volunteering experiences do you have? I really feel like Mayo is the type of school that looks for individuals that have very unique experiences, in addition to strong academics. In other words the impression I've gotten just talking to students there and the administration is that they strive to get students who are solid (nnot necessarily stellar) academically but also have very different life experieinces. I do know the personal statement matters alot. I guess thats why their average MCAT is a 32, which is good, but it could bea lot higher considering the caliber students that apply there.

I would think it's just not possible for them to phone interview all of the applicants from MN, FL and AZ. They only did 330 phone interviews last year, thats a huge cut from the thousands of applications they get. It'd be interesting to see how they narrow it down so much,what logic is used (as it would be interesting to know for all the other schools too). I fell very fortunate to have even got a phone interview, and its tomorrow, so i must go read over the questions again.....

Jim

RayhanS1282 said:
How is that NOT stellar?
By Mayo's standard's it's not. Last year the average gpa was 3.9 according to MSAR.

JDWflash44 said:
I fell very fortunate to have even got a phone interview, and its tomorrow, so i must go read over the questions again.....
Hey good luck. I wish you all the best since you played hockey, according to your mdapplicants profile. Hockey is cool. You would fit well in MN, the self-declared state of hockey.

yup yup. Good old minnesota. I think I will fall into the group of rejected pre-phone from the state of hockey. I am still waiting to hear back, but given the long delay and prepared for a letter. Mayo is where a ton of people want to go for good reasons. Its just flat out awesome. Too bad I didn't know I wanted to be a doctor when I started undergrad o my gpa would be more competitve. hind sight is 20/20. AS with SuzieQ. Good Luck all.

hildaluc said:
Do you have any idea what this is based on? I feel like crap after everyone saying that all MN residents get a phone interview and then I just get the shaft.

Many things said on this forum are wrong.

well, that was pretty weird and awkward, at least its over, now i wait two weeks to see if i get a thin letter in the mail..... At least i came back from class to an invite from Penn State(where i'll actually get to talk to somebody, not a tape recorder)....

Jim