This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamRonan85

Reaction score
Hey y'all please help me decide!!

Mayo

Pros:

-#1 hospital in the country

-Great for speciality residencies (I’m thinking surgery)

-Culture is great, very focused on developing holistic well rounded physicians

-basically 1 on 1 student to faculty attention

Cons:

-Location (I’m a city person so this would be a bummer; although I have lived in Durham for several years now, so it may not be that bad)

->Weather, cold asf

->dating might be hard with not as many people around

Northwestern

Pros:

-Also liked the students a lot

-access to an unbelievable MBA program

-Larger class size is something I don’t mind

Cons:

-Having to turn down Mayo

-Slightly less prestigious?

Don’t really have an idea of financials but I’m assuming Mayo would be cheaper; in any case, wouldn’t affect my decision very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all please help me decide!!

Mayo

Pros:

-#1 hospital in the country

-Great for speciality residencies (I’m thinking surgery)

-Culture is great, very focused on developing holistic well rounded physicians

-basically 1 on 1 student to faculty attention

Cons:

-Location (I’m a city person so this would be a bummer; although I have lived in Durham for several years now, so it may not be that bad)

->Weather, cold asf

->dating might be hard with not as many people around

Northwestern

Pros:

-Also liked the students a lot

-access to an unbelievable MBA program

-Larger class size is something I don’t mind

Cons:

-Having to turn down Mayo

-Slightly less prestigious?

Don’t really have an idea of financials but I’m assuming Mayo would be cheaper; in any case, wouldn’t affect my decision very much.
I would say Mayo. There are other colleges around in Rochester that would make dating not too bad. And Chicago and Rochester have similar weather I think. Your other points I think are true about both schools. Only way I'd say pick NW is if you're really set on doing an MBA.

Mayo. The weather’s too similar for that to be an issue. Chicago is more interesting, but you can always go to Minneapolis for a city experience.

Mayo is on the rise now. With its opportunity for national clerkships at top hospitals, the $200 million donation, and its future plans for dual degree programs (possibly with Carnegie Mellon and Wharton), Mayo’s recent top 10 ranking is warranted (and long overdue, in my opinion). I think things are only going to get better for Mayo and its students. Northwestern, on the other hand, will likely remain the same.

Oh, and that #1 hospital is only going to get bigger and better. Read about “Destination Medical Center” to learn how Mayo is investing billions in making their hospital the medical hub of the world.

Reactions: 1 user
As a “city person,” I would definitely go Northwestern. It will not hold you back in the slightest.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern for sure. Really no difference in prestige between the two, and you'll have much more fun in Chicago.

Has Mayo hit you with their financial aid? If it's better, It would be an easy decision towards Mayo. Also note while the MBA program at NU is lit it costs a whopping 100k.

Northwestern if money is not an issue for you - and you say $$ not an issue. Either will provide a good amount of fin aid if you are poor and if your parents are wealthy enough to pay, then it won't matter. Mayo will be cheaper for most people.
You say you are a city person - not much to do in Rochester.
Northwestern students do great in specialty matches. No significant difference from Mayo.
Rochester is much colder than Chicago, though both can be cold.

I would go to Northwestern.

Match is no different between schools.

MBA program at Northwestern is amazing.

Chicago vs Rochester? Chicago every time.

Mayo. The weather’s too similar for that to be an issue. Chicago is more interesting, but you can always go to Minneapolis for a city experience.

Mayo is on the rise now. With its opportunity for national clerkships at top hospitals, the $200 million donation, and its future plans for dual degree programs (possibly with Carnegie Mellon and Wharton), Mayo’s recent top 10 ranking is warranted (and long overdue, in my opinion). I think things are only going to get better for Mayo and its students. Northwestern, on the other hand, will likely remain the same.

Oh, and that #1 hospital is only going to get bigger and better. Read about “Destination Medical Center” to learn how Mayo is investing billions in making their hospital the medical hub of the world.

Yeah I loved reading about Destination medical center because I'm very interested in healthcare delivery systems and digital health science. Where did you hear about the possible collaborations with Wharton and Carnegie Mellon?

Regardless of how you are leaning, I urge you to watch the Ken Burns documentary on the Mayo Clinic. It got me fired up about Mayo and the practice of medicine in general.

Reactions: 1 users
Biggest differentiators are most obviously location (miracle mile v. no where minnesota) and curriculum (CBL v. selectives). Chicago is an amazing city, but I'd say Mayo seemed to have the most humane approach to a medical education when I was deciding last year. Having the selectives thrown in will do wonders for your mental and professional well-being. As someone currently in a (different) CBL curriculum, you'd be amazed how quickly you stop being excited about medicine first year when you're distanced from the forces that brought you to med school and spend all your time prepping for courses or sitting in class inefficiently going through cases. Also, I have heard Mayo has 'team assistants' during rotations that do all the busy work (faxes, coffee, calls, etc..) so you can focus on actually learning medicine.

Think about how much you value location, if you think you'd drink the CBL koolaid, and what kind of doctor you want to be. It seems NW and most peers just want you to be a leader in something related to medicine, whereas Mayo is more focused on leaders in clinical medicine and health delivery.

Mayo hands down. I'm a current student there and chose it over other schools in bigger and better cities (including some with great weather). Also lived in or near a big city my entire life prior to med school. Rochester has been an adjustment but actually has its pros (cost of living - you get so much for your money here, community). I've never once regretted coming to Mayo, it has been one of the best decisions I've ever made turning down those bigger and better cities.

Northwestern for sure. Really no difference in prestige between the two, and you'll have much more fun in Chicago.
Having been to both institutions there is actually a very discernible difference in prestige and quality. Mayo stands alone because of its history and culture of excellence. If you have doubts just check out the Mayo Grand Rounds almost every Wednesday at noon. Mayo is a very impressive institution.