Mayo Rejected me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not going to cry and whine about why my dream school didn't even ask me for a phone interview. I am not even going to mention how I am realizing that all this feels like a numbers game (no amount of ECs etc can make up)...I just want to ask--did anybody else that got rejected get called an "stellar applicant with excellent qualities?" If they have to reject me, why soften the blow like this? If I am so stellar, why did they not even let me have a phone interview.

I am already feeling broken with this process. Already spent over 2000 dollars and not a single positive light in the dark tunnel. I am lost.......But I do hope those of you who really want to get into mayo get it. It's a wonderful school and I know you will be happy there.

Members don't see this ad.

keep your head up. you'll be okay in the end.

Don't worry, I am in the same game as you. Got two rejections already and no light, hell not even a tunnel, just straigth underground ;)

Hang in there, at least that is what I am saying to myself.

X

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Diogenes
keep your head up. you'll be okay in the end.

Thanks Diogenes. I guess I should not have been expecting much from them anyway. I am one measely student from thousands that are applying. My stats are barely borderline. Hell, I'd be lucky to have them be listed on my resume. I simply wasn't good enough for them.

I think I'm going to buy myself a box of Ben n Jerry's.

Sorry to hear that Mayo rejected you, Tweetie! I think that they missed out on a good doctor!

Sorry to hear that Tweetie, hang in there, its still extremely early in the game and it just means that another school is going to get to have a person like you while Mayo misses out.:)

its their loss tweetie....keep your chin up! :)

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
not a single positive light in the dark tunnel.

don't be discouraged tweetie...iz their loss

"Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an approaching train"

Well, they _do_ have the lowest acceptance rate and smallest medical school class of anywhere, I believe. 2.3%! Hard to take too much offense at that; I'm sure you're in plenty good company....

mayo only accepts ~30 students anyway, at least this helps narrow your effort.

i've heard many schools you never hear back from after the secondary; at least mayo tries to keep u up to date.

Tweetie I think you are taking things way too seriously. You know better than being upset over one rejection, or getting nervous because some schools are slow to respond. This is a very humbling process, and patience is not only a virtue, it's mandatory if you want to stay sane. Keep your chin up. Things are usually not as bad as we think they are.

aw, tweetie, keep the faith. i'm sure it stings now, but i like to think that everything happens for a reason. you're just destined to be somewhere other than mayo. plus, as i'm sure you've heard before, it's their loss :)

It's still August people! A year ago today, I had zero interviews and was still in shock over the death of Aaliyah. Things worked out, you just gotta give it a little time. Schools will come around. Most admissions offices are probably busy with orientation and processing EDP applications anyway. And not to be harsh, but if you consider yourself a borderline applicant, why does a rejection from a top 20 school that only accepts 34 students suprise you all that much??? This process is much too random to be so emotionally attached to any one school. Keep your emotions in check.

Members don't see this ad :)
you guys are absolutely right. I had myself a good cry in the bath tub and somehow things seem a bit better. It still stings...but as somebody said..what was I expecting with borderline stats and asking for an interview from top 20 that only takes 40 spots. That person is absolutely right. I was really hoping they'd look past the numbers. That's the one thing on my application I feel proud of.

I want to say it's their loss, but it's really not. I know I'll move on. Thank you for letting me vent and giving me comfort. I really needed it. Good luck to the rest of you still in the game with Mayo.

It's gonna be OK, Tweetie. :) Trust me, you didn't want to live in that climate, anyway!:D

Don't take it so hard tweetie....keep the faith. Everything happens for a reason. Stay strong....I'm rooting for ya! :)

tweets- i feel like i've really started to get to know these past few weeks, and because of that i can honestly say that it is their loss. you know the rules of the game and they suck, i know, but....hey, this ups the chances that i'll get to go to med school with you someday!!!;)

Don't get too down about it... When it comes to schools like Mayo with insanely low acceptance rates (<2%) it's really mostly LUCK that gets you anywhere. :rolleyes: There are dozens of people with great stats that got turned down I'm sure... I really believe that with schools like Mayo just DUMB LUCK plays a really big part of it unfortunately. Seriously, they only have 42 seats... with a class size that small they're going to have to turn away a lot of students who are equally qualified as the people they accept.

Hang in there! It's only ~one~ school... there are other fish in the sea. :)

that's really sad that you got rejected from your first choice school w/o even an interview. condolances.

but its not fair for you to say "i'm starting to feel its only a #s game." first of all it depreciates those ppl with the so-called #s. second and MORE IMPORTANTLY, did't my friend DODGERDOG's example from stanford make you realize its not a numbers game???

I have a friend whose nickname is also tweetiebird, and when she's down, I just give her a nice little hug, and remind her that things move on, and baby you aint got nothing to worry about.

So here is a nice hug from me!! =D

hope you feel better.

And have you lived in Rochester before? I lived there for almost two years, and I have to tell you that's just no place for me. Too quiet of a place.

good luck for the rest of the application season!!

Originally posted by SMW
It's gonna be OK, Tweetie. :) Trust me, you didn't want to live in that climate, anyway!:D

We like it here!
The weather keeps the rif-raf (sp?) away ;)

yeah i'm a mayo reject too
at least you can avoid playing springtime snow games in minnesota :(

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
you guys are absolutely right. I had myself a good cry in the bath tub and somehow things seem a bit better. It still stings...but as somebody said..what was I expecting with borderline stats and asking for an interview from top 20 that only takes 40 spots. That person is absolutely right. I was really hoping they'd look past the numbers. That's the one thing on my application I feel proud of.

I want to say it's their loss, but it's really not. I know I'll move on. Thank you for letting me vent and giving me comfort. I really needed it. Good luck to the rest of you still in the game with Mayo.

It's obviously their loss. It'd be nice if schools looked past the numbers more, as I'd like to advocate (re: Yale, Harvard, etc. thread). Good luck with all the other schools. And always feel free to vent.

-RA

Mayo is my love too so I'm going to defend it here and say that I believe they ~DO~ look past numbers. It's just that with such a small class size and with so many applicants.... at some point they have to use numbers because simply looking at the other things doesn't eliminate enough students. I think they look at a lot more than numbers! But, they ~have to~ use numbers at some point.... instead of just picking them out of a hat.

Other schools (like Harvard or Yale or whatever) have larger class sizes so they can accept a few more students with low stats.

Tweetie, I think you'll have better luck at other schools that don't have such a limited class size.

Good luck :)

aww, gosh Tweetie, I'm so sorry to hear that about Mayo. It really is your loss. Please don't give up hope-- you're going to be a great doctor and you have all of SDN rooting for you!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

GOOOOOOOOO TWEETIE_BIRD!!!!!

Who wants to go to a school named after a condiment anyway? Seriously, I am sorry. You will be accepted somewhere this year, and rest assured, you'll be happier there in the long run. Prove it you ask? Uhhh... I don't got any proof, but take my word for it. You'll be fine! I promise.

Keep the chin high and keep the cheeks smiling, Tweetie. You know we're all rootin' for ya!

:) Tweetie_Bird

Don't feel so bad about Mayo. First of all, Mayo does look for MN residents, so if you are not a MN resident there even fewer spots open. Furthermore, they are looking for advanced degree, major research, or top top graduating seniors. How do I know this? As a MN resident and MN private univ graduate I personally know people who have gotten in to Mayo. They are Summa thesis students with major research experience (3 years plus). Also, they are from families of doctors (ie dad is doc and sisters are in med school)
These people are professional applicants because they know exactly what they are doing when applying.
Also with dad as a doc, they get great experience ECS with other docs.

There is no need to look for empathy. Getting rejected is a way of life for the majority of applicants. There are no complications here. Either they like you or they don't. You will expect the same attitude from many of the top schools unless you have extremely tight connections and superior numbers.

Originally posted by monster2
There is no need to look for empathy. Getting rejected is a way of life for the majority of applicants. There are no complications here. Either they like you or they don't. You will expect the same attitude from many of the top schools unless you have extremely tight connections and superior numbers.

wow, monster2, you have great people skills....

keep going Tweetie, although it's all true that I think you will be accepted *some*where and wherever that is, will be lucky to have you, and will give you a great education, it's perfectly reasonable to be upset when your 'dream' school isn't the one that picks you in the end.

good luck - and focus on those that have sent you secondaries :)

Like the way he/she stated it or not, monster2 has a point. It sucks to get rejected for sure, but it's the beginning of the application cycle. Tweetie may well have a couple of acceptances by Halloween, and she'll look back on this and laugh. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

I do find one attitude concerning, and that the whole"blame it on the numbers game" mentality. Can you really fault a school with a very small number of seats for focusing on people with better credentials? I'm sure we all want to be seen for what we really are (because most of us consider ourselves excellent prospective physicians, whether we are or not). But the sad fact is, there is neither the time or method for schools to determine what's really inside us. So we are left with the numbers game.

In the end, if we didn't want to accept the risk of rejection, and if we didn't want to be analyzed by the "numbers game' we probably shouldn't have applied to medical school. That's what we get for having high goals.

In any case, best of luck to all.

Originally posted by dr kevin40
but its not fair for you to say "i'm starting to feel its only a #s game." first of all it depreciates those ppl with the so-called #s. second and MORE IMPORTANTLY, did't my friend DODGERDOG's example from stanford make you realize its not a numbers game???

And what's wrong with depreciating numbers? :D :D

-RA

Originally posted by monster2

I second monster2's post. You'll be getting more rejections from medical schools. Don't expect to get interviews from all of them.

There are TONS of "stellar" and even BETTER applicants than yourself.

Yes, perhaps you are a "stellar" applicant and made it through the first round BUT compared to the BETTER applicants, you lost.

Everyone has their place - MAYO, isn't yours, somewhere else is.

If you don't have the strength to move on after a rejection, how the hell will you deal when you were unable to save a patient?

Medical school is tough. Accept it. Live with it. Advance.

Originally posted by Discoteca
:)

First of all, Mayo does look for MN residents, so if you are not a MN resident there even fewer spots open. Furthermore, they are looking for advanced degree, major research, or top top graduating seniors. How do I know this? As a MN resident and MN private univ graduate I personally know people who have gotten in to Mayo. They are Summa thesis students with major research experience (3 years plus). Also, they are from families of doctors (ie dad is doc and sisters are in med school)
These people are professional applicants because they know exactly what they are doing when applying.
Also with dad as a doc, they get great experience ECS with other docs.

I must say you are right on the money when it comes to knowing what Mayo is looking for. I have some friends who go there, and they certainly fit into the categories you just described.

Ahhh, that was the classic "empathy" comeback that was bound to make it's appearance sooner or later. I'm surprised it took this long.

I'm glad that monster2 won't be a physician saying "Don't worry, patient. I mean, it IS terminal cancer, but terminal is such an ugly word. I'm sure you'll be that one in a million person who beats the odds. I feel your pain!"

I've yet to see a substantive reply to monster2's point. If you don't like the way he/she stated it, that's fine. But I'd like to see a little more reason and a lot less emotional shooting from the hip.

i don't think anything is wrong with monster2's statements... i think it's realistic and wasn't intended to be mean or anything. but i don't see what's wrong with tweetie's request for empathy. you know it's great that some folks can come on SDN and feel comfortable about posting that they got rejected. I think Tweetie knows now that she didn't 'merit' the interview, but i think it's cool that she can just lay it on the table.
i guarantee you though, after this thread, it'll be a bit harder for her next time to post that she got rejected.

i just don't see the point in kicking someone when they're down already. and saying, "you should have known" and then kicking them some more. Yes we all know the adage, med school is tough, you better get used to it, how are you going to make it if this bothers you... please. we know med school is tough and undoubtedly the entire process will toughen us all up, but not everyone has thick skin right up front when they begin... but they still will make very good doctors. Tweetie, you WILL be a doctor and I'm sure a good one. don't worry about the school you get into- just think about why you want to be a doctor and you'll see that's all that matters in the end.

Let me just preface my comment by saying that I'm really sorry Tweetie didn't get into Mayo and for those that haven't been through this process before it hurts to get rejected by your top choice school.

However....

As far as my empathy is concerned, I'll save it for people in May and June when people that may not have gotten in anywhere and are riding waitlists or are forced to reapply will need it most. IT'S NOT EVEN FREAKIN' SEPTEMBER YET!!!

Chill people, just chill....

You don't want to go to a school made from eggs and oil!:D

Tweetie --

I can't believe hos random this process is. I have 3.19 and have been invited for a phone interview. Why this happens when you are such a better candidate, is unfathomable.

If I could give you my spot Tweetie, I would.

Hey Tweetie, keep your head up. All of us just havve to have faith that things will work out in the end. Whatever school you go to they will be lucky to have you.

thanks for the compliment and the kind words, Cabruen. I appreciate it. I wish I knew why I got rejected. I really want to appeal the decision but i don't know what else may come of that. Perhaps i might be pushing the envelope too much. I'm thinking about it nevertheless.

I hope your interview goes well. It's an awesome school and an even better program. I will miss them sorely.

Tweetie:

Two years ago Mayo was my dream school. I felt I belonged there, and as soon as I had my phone interview they'd feel it too. I dutifully paid my secondary fee and waited for the phone interview invitation. I got a thin envelope instead. It felt completely wrong -- I was meant to go there, how could they be rejecting me this early in the game? Did they make a mistake?

A few days later I steeled my nerves and called them. A kind and comforting woman explained to me that the first cut is a purely numerical one, and I'd passed it. The second cut is made at the discretion of a single admissions person who reads everybody's file. His opinion of you determines your fate. He had written a few notes that explained why he threw me on the out pile. One of his major concerns was that I didn't have enough medical experience. I actually had quite a bit, but decided not to proceed with a formal "appeal", since I'd also gotten the impression that the man who read my file just plain didn't like me.

I tried not to get defensive and self-righteous while I pondered his comments -- maybe I could learn from them. Rereading my primary application made me realize that I hadn't really gone into any detail about my medical experience and it would be easy to get the impression I had little. I decided to write a second essay about my work in a local primary care clinic, and sent it to the other schools I'd applied to. Maybe it helped, and maybe it didn't, but I quickly found a new dream school and was accepted. So although I still (slightly) resent Mayo for rejecting me, I'm grateful to them for pointing out a potential hole in my application that I could fix. And I believe that the school I attend now is where I really belong.

It's been two weeks since my Mayo phone interview; they said they'd let me know within two weeks what the disposition of my application was. The most reasonable explanation for the delay is the slow U.S. Mail service over the long Labor Day weekend.

I'm not sure I'd rather have been denied based on a numbers cut-off, or whether I should be more worried that they actually took the time to take a closer look and then said "oh, good god, no!" ;)

Too bad, Mayo was starting to grow on me....

Nice story, Omores. I am starting to see holes in my primary also, that I'll be trying to fix soon. Too bad we don't get a second chance. :D

Xelia: don't give up hope yet!! I am sure that if it's in your fate, it will be. I am rooting for ya. It's an awesome school, you will love it. Please keep me updated!!! I got my fingers crossed for you. :)

Hello,

this is the University of Washington. May I be of assistance?

haha sucka!

:sigh: that painful memory. Keep holding on blitz, you're a kick ass applicant and I know you'll get your break soon too.

I know we all deserve it. :clap: :clap: