Mayo School of Medicine vs. Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Techmed07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school would offer better clinical rotations/experience during 3rd/4th year and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I love Mayo and I am on the waiting list or hold status

MMS is a great great school - one thing I hear when people try to discourage me from attending there is (like I am accepted...) that you may not be as well versed in the bread and butter cases. There reasoning is Mayo clinic is mainly for rare cases, and it is kind of unlike the "real world." I believe that is complete BS; there proof is Mayo takes so many of its own to hide these 'problems.'

Take that for what it's worth - but in case of Baylor of MMS (or in my case Mt. Sinai and MMS), I would go the other school. Mayo seems amazing though

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys have a flawed understanding of Mayo. Not only is Mayo a major referral provider for those "zebra" type of cases from all over the world, Mayo is also the major primary care provider for Rochester, MN (pop'l 100,000+) and greater southeastern MN, northern IA, southwest WI areas through the Mayo Clinic Health System. There is PLENTY of bread and butter. Don't be fooled.

Take a look at hospital rankings and it becomes apparent that Mayo offers superior clinical opportunities.

You guys have a flawed understanding of Mayo. Not only is Mayo a major referral provider for those "zebra" type of cases from all over the world, Mayo is also the major primary care provider for Rochester, MN (pop'l 100,000+) and greater southeastern MN, northern IA, southwest WI areas through the Mayo Clinic Health System. There is PLENTY of bread and butter. Don't be fooled.

Take a look at hospital rankings and it becomes apparent that Mayo offers superior clinical opportunities.

This is my first thought. However, I would love to see other people chime in. I am very far away from making my choice.

I heard that some schools with amazing hospitals (like Mayo) don't always give the best clinical experiences because they don't let med student do as much (i.e. attendings and residents do everything, you watch most of the time).

I don't know much about Mayo, but Baylor has a great public hospital where you can be really hands-on (Ben Taub).

Probably the best thing to do would be to ask 4th years how much experience they got and how prepared they felt when they did away rotations.

Are you accepted at Mayo?

If so, yes, definately go to Baylor.
Yes, it is a much better school.
Yes, TX has much better weather.

[Yes, conflict of interest on my part. :smuggrin:]

I am just wondering the difference between the two schools in regards to clinical opportunities. :laugh:

Last edited:
Are you from Texas? In my very uninformed opinion, it appears Texas residencies seem to mostly choose students from Texas schools, so going to Texas for residency may make Baylor the better option.

I did not interview at Baylor, but interviewing at Mayo has led me to believe that there are very few, if any, schools that provide the opportunities you will find at Mayo.

I know this idea may be a pain, but go back to old Mayo threads from the last 2-3 years and try messaging students that ended up going to Mayo. They are probably the only ones that will provide an accurate assessment of third and fourth year rotations.

Good luck! I am quite envious of your predicament.

Are you from Texas? In my very uninformed opinion, it appears Texas residencies seem to mostly choose students from Texas schools, so going to Texas for residency may make Baylor the better option.

I did not interview at Baylor, but interviewing at Mayo has led me to believe that there are very few, if any, schools that provide the opportunities you will find at Mayo.

I know this idea may be a pain, but go back to old Mayo threads from the last 2-3 years and try messaging students that ended up going to Mayo. They are probably the only ones that will provide an accurate assessment of third and fourth year rotations.

Good luck! I am quite envious of your predicament.

Yes, I totally agree I have interviewed at a lot of places and I just feel like Mayo is a very unique place to train for medical school. I will message a couple of 3rd/4th years and see if I get any responses concerning the strength of the clinical curriculum. Thank you so much for your response, and good luck this cycle!

I'm not a med student there so I can't reflect on how hands on 3rd & 4th years get to be, but I've heard through the grapevine that it's pretty good.

What I can say is that you will see plenty of bread and butter cases. As Wisco stated it is the major healthcare provider for the local community and region for routine as well as rare stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about that. I do have to agree with whoever said it is "unlike the real world though," but that's not necessarily a negative ;-)

I'm not a med student there so I can't reflect on how hands on 3rd & 4th years get to be, but I've heard through the grapevine that it's pretty good.

What I can say is that you will see plenty of bread and butter cases. As Wisco stated it is the major healthcare provider for the local community and region for routine as well as rare stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about that. I do have to agree with whoever said it is "unlike the real world though," but that's not necessarily a negative ;-)

Thanks for your input. It seems like alot of people from the midwest LOVE Mayo. People where I am from know it is a great clinic for residency but cannot speak on the quality of it as a medical school. So it is good to hear both sides from people more educated on the culture and quality of the school on SDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.