Mayo stats?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DALABROKA, Oct 29, 2002.

1. DALABROKA

DALABROKA Raider Hater

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone have a reliable source for Mayo's average MCAT scores? The current MSAR simple says that it is 10+ in each section. A Princton review book I was looking at said 11.2 in each section. A Barron's guide I have says that it is 11 in each section. A post I found earlier on SDN said that it was like 35+. So what is the consensus?
    Also, does applying to Mayo late affect the chance of getting an interview? I would think yes, but it seems that they have an odd way of handing out acceptances; like only 1-4 every 6 weeks? I don't know if this is accurate, but even with a class of only 42 it could take a really long time to fill up. So do they interview well into the spring in a normal year? I say normal year in reference to the mess last year that left tons of interviews being held in the late spring. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    DALA

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Stats average about 11 per section (I think this last application cycle is 10.8 per section). Average GPA is a 3.8. But note that these are average. I know there are folks in my class with MCATs around 30 and GPA's less than 3.5.

Typically they will interview about 200 people each year. Usually it takes about 80 offers to fill the class of 42. They interview about 6 to 8 people each week. They are probably done with interviews in March or April...not entirely sure. I would not think they interview late into May or June since they don't interview that many people. (In reality the MD class is only 34 students since there are 6 MD/PhD applicants and 2 dentists getting their medical degree and the general MD applicants are not competing for those 8 spots).

The admissions process is semi-rolling. What this means is that after your interview you are given a total rank score (this rank score is determined by the admissions committee based on GPA, MCAT, interview, how the committee likes you in general, etc.). Then, about once each month, they accept the top people (how many is anyone's guess...maybe 6 to 8) off of the ranked list. You might get pulled off the rank list soon after your interview (about two weeks is the quickest). Or, you might get pulled off months after your interview. It all depends on when you reach the top of the list (e.g., after a week of some poor interviewees that each receive low rank scores). They do reject some people after interview as they clear the bottom of the rank list every so often. They also will accept some people very late because the school year starts very early and people might still be waiting on waitlist movement at preferable schools. Someone in my class was accepted 3 days before orientation (which begins at the end of July...classes start the first week of August).

Let me know if you have any questions about Mayo. It's a great school if you can stand the Minnesota winters.

4. DALABROKA

DALABROKA Raider Hater

Resident [Any Field]
    mpp,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I just recently got turned on to Mayo after talking about the Mayo brothers in a history of medicine course that I am taking. I read the Mayo web site and the MSAR description and think that it sounds like a great place to go. I wouldn't really be bothered by the weather, so that isn't an issue. The main concern I have is that I didn't originally have amcas send Mayo my app. and just added Mayo a couple of days ago. I figured that the descriptions I had heard of how they accept people (this semi-rolling admissions that you described) would allow for my lateness to not be that big of a deal. However, I read in another thread that Mayo had already offered over 300 onsite interviews, so I am still not sure if it is too late or not. Do you know if Mayo extends interviews this late in the game in a normal year? It seems that they may have sent out plenty of invites already, so I wonder if I just wasted my 30 bucks? Either way, I figured that it couldn't hurt to try.

DALA

5. cabruen

Resident [Any Field]
    I am interviewing there Nov 8th, and I would LOVE to become a classmate of yours mpp. Maybe I'll get a chance to see you.

Thanks for the information.

6. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think they would have 300 interview invitations out already, but you are certainly late in the cycle. I think it's still worth a $30 shot in my opinion...it's a great school. You should shortly get a request for another $60 (Mayo won't process the application any further without that $60). And if you do end up getting an interview here, be sure to dazzle them with your knowledge of the Mayo brothers...they'll eat that up. They are immortalized like gods around here.

Good luck on your intervieew cabruen. You'll probably sit in on our Pathology class. I'll be the one making the smartass comments...you gotta keep the classes interesting.

7. trouta

trouta Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    mpp may be the one making the smart ass comments in class, but he definately is not the smartest among us.

Everything that he said about the interview process is true. The average MCAT for our incoming class was 33 and in the past it has been 31 or 32. But as he said, a lower score will not mean an automatic rejection for you.

As for the 300 onsite interviews, whoever told you this is lying. This is not the case. Mayo has already been interviewing people for a while, but they are nowhere near offering 300 interviews. From what I understand that may be close to the total number they will be offering. Good luck to you all in your applications. You can still get an interview at this point, so if you do get here try and find mpp and me.

8. DALABROKA

DALABROKA Raider Hater

Resident [Any Field]
    trouta & mpp,
    Thanks for the info. At this point I don't expect too much in the way of an interview from Mayo. I'll not hold my breath waiting anyway. I would probably feel better if amcas would have sent them my friggin app. already, but we all know how they are.... Anyhow, maybe the amcas people will get off their arse and hit the transmit button sometime this year!!

As far as the admissions people are concerned there, what are they looking for? Did you guys save a small country or something? I think it is refreshing to hear about a great school that isn't so hung up on MCAT scores. An average of 33 is great, yet it is not ridiculous like wash-u and other schools like that. Do they use MCAT and gpa with a "check in the box" type of mentality and then find some more interesting ways to select their people? Well, I've been up for about 37 hours so I think I am going to hit the sack. I'll let you know what happens with this late transmission stuff.

Cheers,
    DALA

9. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine

Medical Student
    From the impression I got at my interview, I think Mayo is very concerned w/ the personality of their class. They said part of the reason they accept so few students is because they want to make sure that the people in the class are able to get along w/ each other and interact like normal human beings. I think this is probably part of why they seem to really go beyond the numbers. :)

10. DALABROKA

DALABROKA Raider Hater

Resident [Any Field]
    Woots,
    I hope that your interview went well. Is Mayo your first choice? I have yet to figure out why a school with such a great reputation gets so few applications, that is relative to the other top schools. I just wish that I had sent them my app way back in July:(

Cheers,
    DALA

11. trouta

trouta Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Mayo looks much beyond the raw numbers of their applicants as you have suggested. For the most part it seems that they are very interested in extracurricular activities and a committment to community service. Neither mpp nor I have "saved a small country," but we both have strong international service backgrounds. It seems that most people in our class have distinguished themselves socially in one way or another. As woots said, the personalitu of the class is very carefully engineered and the interesting thing about it is that the personalities of all four classes currently here at Mayo are very different.

As to why the application numbers are down I think that is largely the result of geography. Many people just dont want to go to school up here in the north where it is so cold in the winter. Not to mention Rochester is not a big city and there is no major university here so that turns a lot of people off as well.

Good luck to both of you.

12. lady bug

That's funny, b/c a friend of mine who's a first year there says he doesn't really get along with his classmates. He's an interesting character though.

13. DALABROKA

DALABROKA Raider Hater

Resident [Any Field]
    I called the admissions department at Mayo today, prior to mailing out that $60, just to make sure that I wouldn't be wasting my money and their time by being so late. The lady that I talked to said that as long as I had submitted to amcas by Nov. 1st that it was fine. She actually said that she had over three hundred applications sitting in front of her that had not yet been reviewed, and that Mayo would be offering interviews all the way until March. So, I hope that this is true and that I didn't just waste my money. It isn't that I am expecting an interview: I just would like to have the same shot at one that everyone else who paid their $60 did. Her comments suggested that I do.:)

Cheers,

DALA