Mayo vs Cleveland Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Major0909

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From reading previous threads/word of mouth it seems the general opinion is that you can get top training at Mayo where the only downside is location; whereas CCF is continuously rated as a few notches below

Seeing as both are tertiary care centers I'd imagine the same problems would arise at both institutions and they should be comparable

So I was wondering what others thought about these 2- what factors separate them? Also how do you think the Lerner School is going to affect CCF now that the first classes are starting to roll through- I'd imagine within 5 years from now their should already be a difference

I guess thats it for now- hopefully some people that have been on the interview trail or matched at one of these places can weigh in

Members don't see this ad.

Major0909 said:
From reading previous threads/word of mouth it seems the general opinion is that you can get top training at Mayo where the only downside is location; whereas CCF is continuously rated as a few notches below

Seeing as both are tertiary care centers I'd imagine the same problems would arise at both institutions and they should be comparable

So I was wondering what others thought about these 2- what factors separate them? Also how do you think the Lerner School is going to affect CCF now that the first classes are starting to roll through- I'd imagine within 5 years from now their should already be a difference

I guess thats it for now- hopefully some people that have been on the interview trail or matched at one of these places can weigh in

There are several differences between the two. Mayo is more competitive, with better residents, much much stronger research, and an older and better reputation. Cleveland Clinic was really not that good not too long ago and its overall reputation, deservedly or not, is riding the coatails of its cardiothoracic surgery and more recently its cardiology programs. Research at the Cleveland Clinic tends to be more clinical, and even then not all that substantial. Now they also just started their med school. How much of a difference will that make? Well, their class sizes are really small ... 30 or 40 students a year. You would have to have most of them go into IM, and do residency at the cleveland clinic to make a difference. Stats say that won't happen. If the clevel clinic could attract stronger residents, I think it would become a better program. But there is a lot of inertia to overcome. I still think the best program in Ohio is next door at Case. Of course, Mayo trumps them. Obviously I am biased by my interview experience in which I was NOT impressed with the 50% IMGs and 25% DOs at the Cleveland Clinic. That having been said, I am sure the IMGs and DOs are top of their classes. Mayo on the other hand was VERY impressive ... of course it is in the arctic circle. And I'm kind of a lab rat, again a strength of Mayo and a weakness of Cleveland Clinic. Just one docs opinion. Let the flaming from Cleveland Clinic Reisdents begin ....

I am an IM "graduate" from Mayo. I went to med school at OSU where I did a few clinical rotations at CCF (they were affiliated at the time).

There is no similarity between the two. Mayo is great. CCF is not even close. The way the attendings (particularly in cardiology) treat CCF residents is insulting and a little sad. If you look at the roster of CCF cardiology fellows, barely any of them come from their own residency program (that's the biggest black eye you can give a program). Mayo's subspecialty fellowships all have Mayo IM residents.

Mayo has a reputation as being fellow run, but that's completely false. Interns basically run the show. Only in the MICU where there is a fellow 24/7 did I feel that the fellow was intruding on the senior resident's autonomy. But on the floor services, you never see a fellow unless you get a consult. The amount of teaching is great. They started the 80 hr/week rule 1 year before it was mandatory. Very resident friendly.

Here's something else about CCF. At OSU some students spent their entire 3/4th years in med school at CCF. Virtually NONE of them choose CCF for IM residency. That tells you something.

you are right that the new med school may change something. However, I was under the impression that the med school will have a heavy research focus. In that case, it may not change things that much.

The Mayo Clinic also has a location in Phoenix if you want to be in a city. I don't know if that's as prestigious, but you can still tell people that you're Mayo trained. :smuggrin: