Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Mayo vs Sinai for MD/PhD

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JJ4, Feb 4, 2002.

1. JJ4

JJ4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am having a tough time deciding. Anyone wanna share some thought?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alina_s

alina_s Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not to be completely trite, but an MD/PhD program is long- do you really want to spend 6-8 years with very long winters in a small town? Also, since the Mayo program is so small, I would be worried about spending so many years with so few different personalities. But congratulations on being faced with such a decision.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll move this to the Pre-Allopathic forum where it is more appropriate.

5. JJ4

JJ4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Kimberly. Someone...anyone please give some opinions.
    I'm just curious what everyone thinks.

6. WISC-ite

WISC-ite Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, first I would like to add that I have not had a campus tour at either place. However, I have had relatives who have ended up at the Mayo clinic and if I were you I would go to Mayo. The reasons are this: Mayo is THE BEST hospital system in the world. I know someone (probably from the East Coast) is going to argue differently, but facts are facts.

When the King of Jordan needed chemothearpy where did he go?

For an MD/PhD I would be interested in their lab/research buildings which I have also not seen. Also, from what I remember Mt. Sinai has about twice as much national research money. But, that is something you would have to judge for yourself. More does not mean better and/or more focused. Oh also, you may become concerned with living in Rochester, MN (it is not NY), but if you are looking for a career spingboard...Mayo.

7. JJ4

JJ4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I see your points WISC-ite. Are you from the midwest?? In any case yes Sinai has more NET research dollars. However I believe this is because Sinai has more faculty doing research -- wheras Mayo has only 250. In any case, ultimately I will only end up with ONE thesis advisor. I liked the research at BOTH Mayo and Sinai. In the end I believe I want to end up in NYC for my career. But at the same time, training at Mayo is a very unique experience. No gun shot wounds however.

8. WISC-ite

WISC-ite Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, I am from good ole WI. However, I have lived in Philly for the past year. The East Coast comment is a little sarcasm. I think you have a hard decision...especially since you are from NY. Nothing in the midwest is even close the city.

If I were you, I would try and decide which area of research you think you are REALLY interested in and pick which ever school has better faculty in that field.

Oh, and there are gunshots in MN...around deer season. :rolleyes: