Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bujji13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have already interviewed at Mayo:

Do all the applicants stay for 2 nights in Rochester? I ask because there are no flights I can find leaving out of Minneapolis after 7 pm, and the e-mail I got seems clear on the fact that the interview day won't be over until 6 pm.

Anybody with travel recommendations who flew in from the northeast?

If I have to stay 2 nights, I don't know how affordable it will be to interview there....

Members don't see this ad.

If you are going to stay extra night, stay in Rochestor. Minneapolis hotels are expensive! Are you flying to Rochestor airport? Rochestor airport small, but may be able to get cheap flights via orbitz or priceline. My aunt in Rochestor NY would fly priceline/Northwest.

I can't give you specific on airlines, because I am West coast right now, but from MN. Fortunately, I can stay with parents for Uof MN, and I have relatives in stewartville (3-4mi outside rochestor).
You can get hotel relatively cheap in Rochestor, but not so in minneapolis. Rochestor lot safer too. Cheap hotels Minneapolis NOT is good areas.
Good luck! I will warn you, that for such a small town, (Rochestor is surrounded by farmland and country/rural areas) it has relatively high cost housing. My cousin is at Mayo for Neuro tech program, and difficult to find apartment. Very windy and COLD (Often -30 F when I visit relatives x-mas).

Finally, congradulations on interview!
Mayo is excellent school however, and Rochestor cute Small town. (~3rd largest MN)

You can find later flights out of Minneapolis, I'm sure. It is only about 2 hours away by shuttle bus. You can stay two nights if you want. Most of the students will be willing to put you up for a night or two at no cost. You can find hotels in Rochester for less than $40 per night (certainly not 4-star but decent) if you don't want to stay with a student. Or stay with a student one night and in a hotel a second night if it is needed.

Housing is very easy to find and very affordable in Rochester so I don't know what phil413ru is talking about. You can buy cheap condos for around $55K, nice 3-bedroom homes for less than $130K, and a two bedroom apartments rent for about $600 per month including all utilities and there is plenty available (I just did a quick check and there are 78 apartments listed for rent just in the Mayo Clinic Classifieds...not to mention apartments not listed in the Mayo Clinic Classifieds). Many students have nice 1-bedrooms for less than $500 per month including all utilities. phil is definitely correct on the cold thing though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah, I think I'll probably stay 2 nights in Rochester ; I've looked on every website for just about every airline (and all the low-fare search engines) and I can't find anything leaving out of Minneapolis later than 7:30 pm for the east coast.

congrats on the interview - when are you going?