Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ss00991

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interviewing at Mayo and other top ten programs in the country. Has anyone interviewed at Mayo yet? What was the interview like? What kind of questions did they ask?

I have also been granted a second interview for their clinical invetigator tract. Does anybody know how competitive it is to match into their CI program?

Does anybody know what kind of candidates Mayo ranks? I am an MD/PhD student at a average medical school with very good grades and letters with average step 1 scores. Does anybody know if having an MD/PhD helps as far as getting into a good program like Mayo?

Members don't see this ad.

MD/PhD? Dude, you're killin' me!

You'll probably be a welcome site at any program.

What you're asking is like superman asking us if he's going to be able to win a fight against Tom or Jerry.

You'll do fine man. Just be yourself. Be proud of your accomplishments. I'm sure the programs will be interested in you.

Its not quite simple. Not everyone welcomes us. I did get rejections from UPenn and GW: bastards

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo seems very research intensive, so I'm sure an MD/PhD would be a great plus.
I'd also like to know how competitive it is to match at Mayo. It seems that they interview about 325 people for 45 categorical spots, which is a ratio of 5 to 1, so is getting an interview a closer step to matching than at other programs where 10 people are interviewed for 1 spot (most other IM programs)?
Also, the Mayo interview seems shrouded in mystery. I just want to know if they are laid back or a little more intense? How many people do you interview with?

What do you mean that the "mayo interview seemed shrouded in mystery"?

I interview on the Jan 6 & 7 at Mayo. I will let you know my opinion after that

I have a friend who interviewed at Mayo. He said that everyone was really nice, and that his interviews were very laidback. Sorry, I don't have any details, but he said the day was very relaxed. Hope that helps a little.

Dinner the night before is very informal and a good chance to meet residents with a range of backgrounds and career plans.
The interview day starts early and is packed with activity. Day starts with intro by PD, then morning report or conference, rounds with the general med teams, formal presentation by PD, tour of St. Mary's Hospital, lunch, tour of the Clinic, then the interviews.

Two interviews, one with a member of the selection commitee and the other with the PD or associate PDs. The first did involve a review of my academic record and med school activities. Other questions were of the standard variety. The PD interview was very low key.

All in all, the people there were very amiable, helpful and organized.

Good luck