mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smalltowngirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone ranking mayo highly?

Members don't see this ad.

I ranked Mayo number 1. I just loved the program. In my mind it had more to offer me and my family than JHU, MGH, or UCSF - my second thru fourth choices. While it might not be the highest ranked of the anesthesia programs, it was the best fit for me and I hope that come the 20th, I will be in Rochester.

I'm just finishing my internship elsewhere, and will be starting at Mayo in July. I was just curious if many applicants were interested in Mayo this year since it hasn't been discussed on the boards much. It's surprising that it isn't a more popular program...must be the geography. I interviewed at all of the "big name" programs last year, didn't really want to go to my Mayo interview...glad that I did :) Hope to see you there in the future!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a third year now and I am interested in Mayo for anesthesiology. Do you have any suggestions for me as far as interviews etc.. I am hoping to do a rotation in anesthesiology or critical care this summer/fall application submitted in Feb. Thanks!;)

As far as suggestions about Mayo and applying next year......I really don't have anything specific as I had never been to Mayo before my interview. In fact, I had cancelled because I thought it was the last place I wanted to go (I wanted to get out of the Midwest for awhile).
FYI-they have been recruiting females quite seriously. Apparently trying to get rid of the alpha male images that scares many off. At my interview I noticed that many of the past classes had no or only one or two females. My class has 7 or 8 of the 17. They weren't trying to keep this a secret, it was openly discussed with several of my interviewers. There are quite a few females on staff, perhaps they were pushing for it? Or perhaps they realized they were missing out on 50% of the applicant pool!
Also, rumor has it that the Jacksonville site will be having a full residency within the next 2 years.
It was my impression that the residents are treated very well and the support staff is phenomenal. Just remember....it's COLD in Minnesota!

I remember that the Jacksonville site sent a letter saying that they were opening positions starting 2004 (ie: for current 4th year students to enter). Supposedly they didn't open the residency on time to be included on ERAS. I wonder if enough people knew about this and if the Jacksonville site had enough people interview...

Has anyone heard about a possible residency opening in their Scottsdale Mayo location.

DRNickiTay

Yes, there is a new anesthesiology residency program starting at Mayo Scottsdale. I'm not sure when it will be up and running, but the reason I know is because Dr. Dan Cole from Loma Linda will be leaving this year to start their residency program over there as program director. Maybe even as early as next year. Just my two cents on what i know.