Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spumoni620

.:good girl down:.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything--rejection or otherwise? Anyone had telephone interviews? Is this one of the schools notorious for not sending anything (except cashing your check) in case of rejection?

Just wanting to prepare myself in this crazy time....

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you! I combed the website earlier today looking for some info on their timeline. Nada. My only hint is that no one else on SDN has posted that they got a phone call yet. Every time I get a communication from a school I look on here and some else has already posted about it!

Ahh the waiting... the joy of a secondary and mad dash to complete... and then the waiting again... then maybe an interview and it's attendant craziness...and then the waiting...

Need more maalox :laugh:

T

As far as I know there are two SDN'ers that did receive the Mayo phone interview (myself one). I have not heard anything after that though, keeping my fingers crossed for the interview at MMS.

Members don't see this ad :)
efex101
congrats on the mayo phone interview! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

when did you hear back from them? was it pretty recent or awhile back.. thanks for any info!

Gosh, I think the phone interview was two weeks ago? I am loosing it with all these secondaries. Once that is done and they get your LOR's your application gets reviewed again, I think...

great. thanks for the info efex101!

I am the other phone interview (that we know of). Had it beginning of last week. I talked to the school today, and my recs are in so they will let me know about a real interview in 2 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed because it's my #1 school....:D

little inside info on mayo:

1. pre-secondary screening is done by taking your GPA x 10 then added to your MCAT score. That score must be higher than 66 or 67 to get passed the initial stage, not too hard.

2. my PI was on the adcom for a year and said that anyone that applies MUST have ER experience...take that as you will whether it be actual ER work or clinical in general.

3. He also said that mayo tends to take "fruits" (no offense), meaning that they have to have extensive work OUTSIDE of medicine/science and international/leadership work is looked highly upon.

I'm confused, a 36 on mcats, or your gpa x 10 plus mcats? A 3.7 would equal 37, then another say 30 mcat, is 67? Please explain the formula. Thanks!

i was just about to change my error, good call though. Yes must be higher than a 66 or 67, but im leaning toward the 67...

Originally posted by ultimateend
little inside info on mayo:

1. pre-secondary screening is done by taking your GPA x 10 then added to your MCAT score. That score must be higher than 66 or 67 to get passed the initial stage, not too hard.

2. my PI was on the adcom for a year and said that anyone that applies MUST have ER experience...take that as you will whether it be actual ER work or clinical in general.

3. He also said that mayo tends to take "fruits" (no offense), meaning that they have to have extensive work OUTSIDE of medicine/science and international/leadership work is looked highly upon.

very interesting tidbits. thanks! -a fruit :p

Thanks for the inside info, ultimate! to efex and pud, congrats on your interviews! did you fit the description posted by ultimate, out of curiosity?

p.s. loomis, i'm a fellow "fruit" myself, so let's see...:) :p

I got rejected about two weeks ago. I had a 63

Members don't see this ad :)
The clinical work is not entirely necessary. I am a student there with and had no prior clinical experience.

According to mpp, ultimateend's list #2 for Mayo is false, so how accurate is #1 (screening formula)?

My friend's father is one of the heads on the admission board at Mayo. I asked and that formula is correct.

so here is a question: is the clinical/ER experience a criteria for pre-secondary screening? or is this something that is asked about at the time of the 1st interview (telephone or otherwise?)

According to the formula I meet the 67 cutoff, but I didn't really highlight clinical experience anywhere on my amcas.

It is not asked about specifically during the telephone interview. People have been accepted with little or no clinical volunteer/work experience.

i had my telephone interview today and should find out in a few weeks as to where that leads....hopefully its rochester and not a "were sorry to inform you..." anyhow, good luck y'all.

Machination,

I've seen several accepted students who fall below the 66-67 cut off. Is it used on every applicant, or does the essays etc. get read in addition to this formula? I've seen people with a 64 accepted, might be URM, but I don't know for sure. Also, if you pay the fee is it just so they can do the formula, or do they actually look at your file? My letter said I "will" receive a phone interview later in the process. It didn't say I might receive a phone interview. Just curious because my MCATs won't be avail till October and I don't know if I should pay the fee yet or not.

Thanks!

According to the lady in the Admissions office I am right around the time when they will either call me for a phone interview or send me a "we're sorry" letter. What I want to know is, do they call you to set up the phone interview or is it just "suprise, let's talk now?"

No, they will send you an e-mail. You will call them to set up a time and date for the telephone interview. They will also ask you to have letters of recommendation in. On the date of your telephone interview, they will call you.

I don't think I am going to make the numbers cutoff; my postbacc work is a high gpa, but my ancient freshman courses were a washout. So that means that if they use an automatic cummulative average than my overall score is lower.

I would like to think that they can see the difference between the years and the schools, but who knows really. I am definitely in the 'fruit' category tho ... :)

It's just difficult to take a school named after a lunch condiment seriously. Especially when tartar sauce is such a superior option.

I guess people don't believe me, but I will post it again. Mayo does not have a specific cut off for anything...

Originally posted by mpp
I guess people don't believe me, but I will post it again. Mayo does not have a specific cut off for anything...

I will believe you. That is good news for me, a non-trad "fruit" with 210 hrs that are better after ugrad. Mayo sounds very sensible with expectations. It would be an honor to be selected for such a small class size at such a reputable institution.

I believe you, I am just kind of nervous ...

To be honest, I just submitted to WashU and wrote a great essay (if I do say so myself ... I felt proud) but all the while I kept thinking of their braniac reputation and their 12/12/12 MCAT AVERAGE scores ... which I do not have.

This must be an act of faith or courage. Still, Mayo is definitely one of my top choices and I would love to even be considered for their class ...

Originally posted by ShantanuThakur
It's just difficult to take a school named after a lunch condiment seriously. Especially when tartar sauce is such a superior option.

...and I'm starting to get tired of all the potato salad and cole slaw they make use eat...