Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

mba after 3rd yr

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pre-money, May 4, 2004.

1. pre-money

pre-money Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm thinking about doing the first 3 yrs of med school, then taking 2 yrs off to get MBA, and then coming back to finish my 4th yr...
    what do you guys think? anybody heard of people taking some time off in the middle of med school?

2. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I believe that most schools that have an MD/MBA program have the MBA portion fall between the second and third years, rather than the third and fourth. There's already such a natural split there that it makes sense. However, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it between the third and fourth years, which are so flexible anyhow. People have argued that taking time off between the third and fourth years is superior to the "traditional" joint degree path, because you will perform better in your required clinicals (since info will be fresher in your mind) and get better recommendations for your residency. I say "bah!"

Schools that don't have an official joint program should have no problem granting you the leave of absence to pursue a second degree (I plan to do this for a different degree and have looked into it extensively).

3. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    most schools do not offer flexiblity in the md/mba programs...they allow you to do it only between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th...I am certainly interested in schools that would allow me to finish my MBA prior to starting the MD.

4. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've looked into MD/MBA programs - my sense is the ones with their own programs want you to do theirs and follow their schedule, if anything, while others without MBA joint degree programs have varying amounts of flexibility for time off to pursue a second degree (some are very flexible, some aren't).

Duke would have you do the majority of the MBA program in your 3rd year (after 1st clinical year there). Other schools will have you start your MBA degree during fourth year and continue over a 5th year - effectively, 1.5 years MBA after half of fourth year. Some of these programs also have requirements for policy/management related classes or experiences even extending as early as 1st year and the summer after.

5. oldtimer

oldtimer Not a blind man
    7+ Year Member

More importantly, you should ask yourself if getting that MBA will really help you achieve your end goals. Unless you plan to work on the business side of medicine and not practice clinically, I don't see the point of getting an MBA. If you want to open your own practice, I don't think that you need an MBA for that. Some business courses and common sense is enough.

6. Friday

Friday TGIF
    5+ Year Member

Umm, ya, I think he's pre-money...

7. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I laughed the first time I saw pre-money for a name. Very unique

8. pre-money

pre-money Member
    7+ Year Member

it is nice to know that people like my name..
    in any case..yes..i really am thinking about the business side of medicine..although i would want to practice at least one day out of week..but the school i'll be atttending has no joint degree program....

9. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If your school does not have a joint degree program, chances are they will let you take a leave of absence to pursue the degree without any problem. They might express a preference for when you take that leave, but my guess is they won't care. You should be able to contact the admissions office and have them pass your request for information about MBA/leave of absence possibilities on to someone who can answer your question (probably like a dean of education).

10. mward04

mward04 SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus Partner Organization 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually, that's not correct. Most schools in a joint MD/MBA program do the MBA between the 3rd and 4th years of medical school. Feel free to check out all of the different programs at the website listed below. Many schools view this as "work experience" since a number of MD/MBA students have not worked a lick in their lives. Initially, I thought that doing the MBA after second year would be a better fit because of the seemingly natural break. However, I realized that doing it after the 3rd year works better because you know what the Wards are like and you have transitioned your book knowledge into clinical knowledge. Additionally, you can work shifts on the Wards while you are in b-school if you already have a year behind you.

Lastly, if you are involved in a joint degree program, that should only 1 year to your total. :thumbup:

I agree with the previous poster that you do not necessarily need an MBA-it totally depends upon what you want to do with it. You could probably take several classes and be fine. The key, ultimately, is the appropriate kind of experience supplemented with some book knowledge.

Mike
    www.md-mba.org
    Emory University School of Medicine
    Goizueta Business School
    Class of 2006