MBA for a Pedo Wannabe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vishrava

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I am currently a D1 and my school offers an option to pursue an MBA concurrently. I've been considering the option, as I think it would possibly lessen the learning curve of the business side of dentistry when I enter private practice, and because my family has a small shop that I may one day inherit as well. However, it's my primary wish to go into pediatrics after dental school. My question is how will pursuing an MBA impact the perception residency programs have on me for pediatrics? Will it be a negative, a positive, or not impact me at all? It's my concern that some residency directors may look at it as a sign of unfocus or being a 'money grubber'. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
So I am currently a D1 and my school offers an option to pursue an MBA concurrently. I've been considering the option, as I think it would possibly lessen the learning curve of the business side of dentistry when I enter private practice, and because my family has a small shop that I may one day inherit as well. However, it's my primary wish to go into pediatrics after dental school. My question is how will pursuing an MBA impact the perception residency programs have on me for pediatrics? Will it be a negative, a positive, or not impact me at all? It's my concern that some residency directors may look at it as a sign of unfocus or being a 'money grubber'. Thanks.

I didn't apply to pedo, so take anything I say with a big grain of salt. My guess is that they may ask you why you decided to get an MBA...but, beyond that, they probably won't care that much about it. They'll look at the same things as everyone else: board scores, class rank, extracurriculars, etc. I can't imagine, however, anyone would look at it as some sort of negative and exclude you from consideration simply based on that.

Just my thoughts. Maybe some of the Pedo guys will chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking from experience...the more favorable items that you have on your CV the better and an MBA will only distinguish your PEDO application from the rest. After dental school, I did a one year GPR, then got a Health Services Management MBA from a prestigious institution followed by applying to PEDO. Program directors looked at my application and always made positive comments about my MBA. However, when I was in business school the only people who did not care about the MBA or my pursuit of it were future employers (i.e.solo practitioners-mainly). They were concerned that I would leave their practice to take a job in the healthcare business world.

So my point is...program directors want a vastly diverse applicant pool. I encourage you to get your MBA while you have the chance to not be in my situation--working full-time and going to school full-time in the evenings for 2 years. You will learn so much in business school that dental school will never teach you. Besides, what program director would look down on an applicant that did something positive to enhance his/her CV, thereby improving your chances of getting in?

Good luck with your MBA and PEDO.:luck:

Welcoming you to the field,
luvkidzteeth :hardy:

sorry to hijack thread..

but the information learned in the mba program.. how much of it will relate to your future practice just wondering..

sorry to hijack thread..

but the information learned in the mba program.. how much of it will relate to your future practice just wondering..

I'm curious if anyone has information regarding this???

I'm curious if anyone has information regarding this???......but the information learned in the mba program.. how much of it will relate to your future practice just wondering

Only a TON! You have no idea how much you don't know about running a business...accounting, finance, etc...

I got mine completely online just for my own knowledge and I couldn't believe how much I learned..

And to answer above, I get a ton of comments about mine in the military...it does set you apart...