1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

MBA or Dental School

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by LMUKID, Mar 27, 2002.

1. LMUKID

LMUKID Member

Hey everyone,
    I wanted to get some opinions on this decision I'm about to make. I have an opportunity to take a couple of extra classes as an undergrad that would allow me to get my MBA(Master of Business Administration) in only a year and a half! This sounds great and I definetly want to do it. I think it's important for those of us going into dentistry to have some kind of business background. I'm not sure though if I should begin the MBA program in 2003 and go to dental school after or go to dental school in 2003 and complete my MBA around 2008. My problem is that I don't think that I'll want to or have the time to come back to get my MBA in 2008. Any advice? Anyone out there that has done this or know anyone that has done it? Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper

Non-Student
    Lmukid,

I'm actually looking into doing a dual degree in DMD/MBA at my dental school which I will start next year! My suggestion for you is to apply to dental schools in 2003 and complete your MBA during your dental education! There are some dental schools out there that actually have the DMD/MBA dual degree program! It's doable! You do not have to sacrafice one degree for the other and take them sequentially, you are able to complete both degrees at the same time (within 4 years of your dental education)! Especially with your head start for the MBA degree, just apply to dental school and finish your MBA while you're doing your dental education. Just find a dental school that works closely with the Business school! Temple and Nova are some of the dental schools I know that you can do a dual degree in DMD/MBA within 4 years!

:cool:

4. Regina330

Regina330 Senior Member

At PITT you can take any classes at the Grad/Undergrad level to work towards a masters or certificate for free!

5. Freddy King

Freddy King Junior Member

If you finish your MBA now, I assume you won't have any income until after dental school. Go to dental school first, start making some money and paying back loans, then do the MBA thing. You could take classes at night or on the weekend and still do something cool - work on teeth. If you don't feel like finishing an MBA after dental school, then so be it. You may already have enough business background and not even care at that point.

6. deciduous

deciduous ready to shed

two cents from someone with a family and kids: If you're not in my situation now, do the MBA first (if a dual degree option, which sounds like a good thing, is not available at your dental school(s)); you have plenty of time to do such a thing now. You'll understand what I mean later. I think it would be a good thing.