MBA or MPH for MD interested in value/policy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkiMKE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a radiology resident with an interest in medical business and policy, especially as they relate to the value and safety of medical imaging. I would like to combine a fellowship with an MBA or MPH - ideally, the degree would be sponsored by the program in exchange for clinical productivity, etc. It seems like either degree would be valuable, but the MBA may lend more credibility in careers involving medical finance/cost analysis. Unfortunately, it seems like an MBA would take longer (2yrs vs. 1yr) and would require taking another test (most MPH programs appear to waive the GRE for MDs). Also, the apparent need to attend a "top" business school is troublesome - it's less likely that the fellowship program would have any incentive to sponsor the MBA when they know you "need" the name for it to be worth anything. For what it's worth, I hope to end up in academics and/or government, so marketability/networking considerations are important. Will an MPH help me get where I want to go, or is an MBA the best bet? Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.