MBA or not to get an MBA, that is my question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crmdental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've seen a lot of DDS/MBA programs lately. How does having your MBA, make you a better dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I've seen a lot of DDS/MBA programs lately. How does having your MBA, make you a better dentist?

You already posted this on the pre-dental forum and it has been answered. Refer to it there. And no an MBA isn't worth it.

I wouldn't do it..waste of time & $

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
No need for an MBA unless you want to pursue setting up a small or mid-size dental corporation. Then the MBA is only worth its connection and prestige to find you capital or investors and other qualified executive and management employees.

If you are totally clueless on any business operations, truly want to grow your business, etc. I would suggest an online Masters of Science in:

Innovation and Entreprenurship
Global Business
Management and Administrative Sciences

These above are practical and helpful degrees with classes that will truly you help you. Also since its more your looking for knowledge go to your local State school or State flagship. Its cheaper and only 1 full year for each (or you can spread out 2 if you have to).

These MS degrees will make you a better businessman.
The MBA will get you in touch with better businessmen.

No need for an MBA unless you want to pursue setting up a small or mid-size dental corporation. Then the MBA is only worth its connection and prestige to find you capital or investors and other qualified executive and management employees.

If you are totally clueless on any business operations, truly want to grow your business, etc. I would suggest an online Masters of Science in:

Innovation and Entreprenurship
Global Business
Management and Administrative Sciences

These above are practical and helpful degrees with classes that will truly you help you. Also since its more your looking for knowledge go to your local State school or State flagship. Its cheaper and only 1 full year for each (or you can spread out 2 if you have to).

These MS degrees will make you a better businessman.
The MBA will get you in touch with better businessmen.

Good answer but I would say those classes are still "over the top" for a business like dentistry. I would save the time and money on these courses and invest in a good bookkeeper, accountant and lawyer. You can't do anything w/o these 3 people and they can save you a lot of time and money. If you're scared of being embezzled then hire another bookkeeper or accountant that will examine your books afterwards. I think dentists should stick to dentistry, just like plumbers stick with plumbing. It will take a lot more time and effort to try to learn how to do your own books, taxes, contracts than it will to hire someone else. I'd rather earn more money working on patients then trying to figure out how to balance my books. It's called Opportunity Cost :)