edit

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PharmLover234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also if anyone has gone down a similar road, what did you end up doing with it? Are there alternatives to private practice like high up corporate positions, etc?

I think an MBA can be helpful if you make it helpful. If you graduate and just go and find "a job" like all your other non-MBA classmates, then no it's possible that it won't necessarily help you. Could it be a tie-breaker between you and such classmates? I would say for sure.

As for making it helpful, if you have a natural interest in business and finance, I can't see why you couldn't leverage it into something interesting/useful. My particular "concern" would be the timeliness of you getting an MBA now. If you got an MBA say after 10-15 years of practice, because you were getting bored and wanted something else to do (e.g. exploring a 2nd career), then at that point perhaps an MBA would open doors. But coming out with an MBA and an OD just as you are getting started, you won't even have your feet wet with practice experience, so again, it COULD be useful if you make it, but it won't by itself do much if you don't have an interest in the actual MBA material/knowledge, and "only" practice optometry. If you practice for 10-15 years, then at that time, start investigating 2nd careers, then at that point I'm not sure how up-to-date/relevant your MBA would be.

Anyways - not speaking from experience. Just random thoughts.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
an mba without work experience is next to useless

that program is nothing but a cash grab for your tuition (as most optometry programs are)

Hi all!
I am currently enrolled for the 2017 entering class of optometry school and was recently also accepted into the joint MBA program along with the OD. You take the initial classes for the MBA online during the summer and eventually complete it online as well after graduation. Some of the courses are even built into the curriculum. However, being out of state, I am already paying an ungodly amount in tuition and all no doubt have to tac on some more for the MBA.

So is it worth it? obviously having an MBA would make you more marketable and greatly benefit a private practice. However, I don't want to flush more money downtime drain if the MBA is not going to pay out in the long run. Any thoughts are welcome!

I would complete the MBA as soon as possible. I am a DO and completed my MBA degree years later. It definitely opens up doors. I was given an administrative position less than 1 month after I graduated. My clinical experience plus the MBA led to the position. So, you will need clinical experience first. It is difficult to go to business school once you are out in practice (because you will have more responsibilities). The sooner it gets done the better. The payoff will occur later on in your career.

Reactions: 1 user
I would complete the MBA as soon as possible. I am a DO and completed my MBA degree years later. It definitely opens up doors. I was given an administrative position less than 1 month after I graduated. My clinical experience plus the MBA led to the position. So, you will need clinical experience first. It is difficult to go to business school once you are out in practice (because you will have more responsibilities). The sooner it gets done the better. The payoff will occur later on in your career.
Awesome, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.