Mba

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by sdnmed321, Nov 2, 2002.

1. sdnmed321

sdnmed321 Junior Member

Why do medical students/physicians in general get MBAs? I'm interested in working on healthcare policy issues and want to improve the quality of care in underprivileged areas. I know I want to be a physician first (working with patients) but I'm also interested in doing the above. Would it be more diffifult for me graduating from an MD/MBA program to get good residencies because it may appear that with a business education, I may go into admin positions and not practice (or what's the general opinion of res directors in this regard?). Would a masters degree in public health/policy better suit my interests or will an MBA be more apporpriate? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mimicat

Mimicat Senior Member

I have an MBA, but not an MD (yet). The only comment I would like to make is that an MBA may open many more possiblities for you (things you haven't even considered) vs. the MPH or such. Biotech is such a growing area, the possiblities for unique careers outside the purely clinical setting are endless with a solid combiniation of MBA and MD. You may find it much more challenging, interesting and lucrative to pursue something in the "real" businessworld, rather than just healthcare admin - or you may not... but the MBA should allow you to do either, so gives you more options.

Just my 2 cents ;)

4. Kovox

Kovox Going Places

I thought a MBA from a non ivy school would be somewhat useless?

But a MBA from any school combined with another degree like MD DO PharmD, I would think, provide you with endless opportunities.