Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Mba

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by sdnmed321, Nov 2, 2002.

1. sdnmed321

sdnmed321 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Why do medical students/physicians in general get MBAs? I'm interested in working on healthcare policy issues and want to improve the quality of care in underprivileged areas. I know I want to be a physician first (working with patients) but I'm also interested in doing the above. Would it be more diffifult for me graduating from an MD/MBA program to get good residencies because it may appear that with a business education, I may go into admin positions and not practice (or what's the general opinion of res directors in this regard?). Would a masters degree in public health/policy better suit my interests or will an MBA be more apporpriate? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mimicat

Mimicat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have an MBA, but not an MD (yet). The only comment I would like to make is that an MBA may open many more possiblities for you (things you haven't even considered) vs. the MPH or such. Biotech is such a growing area, the possiblities for unique careers outside the purely clinical setting are endless with a solid combiniation of MBA and MD. You may find it much more challenging, interesting and lucrative to pursue something in the "real" businessworld, rather than just healthcare admin - or you may not... but the MBA should allow you to do either, so gives you more options.

Just my 2 cents ;)

4. Kovox

Kovox Going Places
    7+ Year Member

I thought a MBA from a non ivy school would be somewhat useless?

But a MBA from any school combined with another degree like MD DO PharmD, I would think, provide you with endless opportunities.