MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that Temple offers their students the opportunity to obtain a MBA very easily.....can anyone please tell me why a dental student would want to get a MBA and what advantages does it hold? Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're overthinking this one. I would want an MBA to have a better understanding of the operations, financial considerations, legal concerns, and tax implications of owning a business. A few accounting, finance, marketing and other business classes could help any dentist be more efficient and productive.

Originally posted by jaap
I think you're overthinking this one. I would want an MBA to have a better understanding of the operations, financial considerations, legal concerns, and tax implications of owning a business. A few accounting, finance, marketing and other business classes could help any dentist be more efficient and productive.
Not to mention, being able to save $60,000 a year on an office manager.

Members don't see this ad :)
damn bill and jaap...you make good points! The problem I can possibly face is that I took no business courses during undergrad, so would I still be qualified for the MBA program?

I guess being about to do your own accounting is good, and being able to run your own business will make your practice more efficient and profitable.

Originally posted by aphistis
Not to mention, being able to save $60,000 a year on an office manager.

An MBA is a pretty safe degree to have, but I couldn?t imagine getting one while in dental school? I don?t have the time management skills.

I think when I applied to Harvard, I heard something about an MBA dual option there too.

why would you need to take business courses in undergrad?

half the students in MBA programs have non-business degrees.

Originally posted by avingupta
damn bill and jaap...you make good points! The problem I can possibly face is that I took no business courses during undergrad, so would I still be qualified for the MBA program?

Originally posted by avingupta
The problem I can possibly face is that I took no business courses during undergrad, so would I still be qualified for the MBA program?

I think this varies from school to school. At some schools I know that students can basically enroll in ANY classes they wish to.

At others, however, students are eligible to participate in other programs, but must apply to those programs just like any other student. I believe this is how the majority of Dental/MBA dual degrees operate (although I could be wrong). Meaning, dental students would have to apply directly to the business school and meet all of their requirements prior to matriculation.

I'd check out each school for more details.

Thanks guys for your responses....Actually Gavin, I believe this is the first time you have responded to one of my questions...I always felt you had something against me....but I really appreciate the help all you guys give me....

Im most likely going to go for the MPH degree, but if things change, its always nice to know that I have the option of getting the MBA....

youll probably have to take the Gmat.

I agree that at most schools you don't need to have a business background when you start your MBA. They accept a wide variety of majors.

I did my MBA with a biochem background and had no trouble. (Honestly, it was a lot less demanding than my B.S. in biochem)

I was required to take the GMAT - no exceptions. I don't have experience with the combined degree programs.

I guess its up to you whether you think you can handle the extra load.

Another reason or motivation to have an MBA is for future development and consulting of other practices. I know of a few dentists who have an MBA and are consultants for dentists. It adds to their credibility and ability to assist in building practices and setting up practices for the "less experienced" dentists.

It can also assist you when putting together a business plan to secure financing for building a practice.

Investors love to see that you have some business knowledge/training and not just the professional training of a dentist/doctor.

Best thing I ever did was get my MBA before dental school

I sure as hell know I wouldn't go back to school after four years of professional school.

I also make money on the side making business plans for those in the health field although I haven't taken on any new jobs for obvious reasons. I do have a few people lined up for my summer off.

i think MBA is actually very appealing to me, i would definitely wanna find out more about it once i'm in dental school. it will
ALWAYS help you out NO MATTER WHAT PROFESSION you have!

by the way...what is MPH??

Penn also does the MBA dual program through Temple, or we can just take classes at Wharton, becuase it is pretty much impossible to get into the Wharton MBA program. Anyway to get into Temples you must get a 600 or better on the GMAT, which I heard isnt too hard. I was actually going to take it the summer before I started school, but slacked off, so maybe this summer. I know a few people that started it their 1st year, but most wouldnt reccomend it. Bascially you start the summer of your secnod year, and take classes trhough 3rd, 4th and a 5th year. This is one of the reasons I decided against it, I didnt want to add an extra year. The other was that I dont know how much a full MBA will help, I heard alot of the classes are kinda extra classes which we wont use, so people told me to just take the classes I needed instead of getting the degree, since an MBA doesnt mean much unless it comes from a top 25 school. You can start your 2nd year and then get done early, but the way 2nd year goes I couldnt imagine doing that. So instead I decided to do the Masters in educatioon and take a few classes that I could use at Wharton, something yo can do at Temple also.

The MPH is a masters in public health.