MBBS from India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PuneDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an American citizen, who is attending medical school in India, about to get an MBBS degree.

I was wondering, in case I am not able to get selected for a residency program in America, what other jobs can I get with an MBBS degree from India?
Also, is it likely to get selected for these jobs, with an MBBS from India, or would employers not want to give jobs to students with this degree?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am an American citizen, who is attending medical school in India, about to get an MBBS degree.

I was wondering, in case I am not able to get selected for a residency program in America, what other jobs can I get with an MBBS degree from India?
Also, is it likely to get selected for these jobs, with an MBBS from India, or would employers not want to give jobs to students with this degree?

Thank you!

Without a residency, your employment options in the US are very limited. You really cannot provide healthcare in any capacity. You'd probably want to find some research job and reapply in a year.

You might be able to parlay that degree into a medical sales position of some sort.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a few MBBSs and other FMGs that work as research assistants at my school. They usually work for a year or two and then apply for residency.

We have a few MBBSs and other FMGs that work as research assistants at my school. They usually work for a year or two and then apply for residency.

+1. There were several Indian doctors working at research positions where I was. Some were able to get residencies while others were not. Most had to work a few years and publish some real work before they had a shot at a residency position.