MBBS vs MD... what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSK

Only the beginning...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I decided I want to be an MD. Okay... great. Now what? I've already completed 1 year of undergrad work towards my BS Chemistry which leaves me 3 more years at undergrad then 4 years of Med School (7 total)... OR... I can start my MBBS at UWI right away - 5 years and I'm done. So, my question is this: what are the virtues of doing the MD vs the MBBS? Is there a stigma attached to grads with an MBBS? Does anyone know if IMGs who are US citizens are treated differently than MD grads?

I've got to tell you, I find the prospect of graduating 2 years earlier than planned to be quite attractive. Also, I am an adult learner - over 30 years old, so that 2 years means a whole lot to me in terms of earned income.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

LSK said:
So I decided I want to be an MD. Okay... great. Now what? I've already completed 1 year of undergrad work towards my BS Chemistry which leaves me 3 more years at undergrad then 4 years of Med School (7 total)... OR... I can start my MBBS at UWI right away - 5 years and I'm done. So, my question is this: what are the virtues of doing the MD vs the MBBS? Is there a stigma attached to grads with an MBBS? Does anyone know if IMGs who are US citizens are treated differently than MD grads?

I've got to tell you, I find the prospect of graduating 2 years earlier than planned to be quite attractive. Also, I am an adult learner - over 30 years old, so that 2 years means a whole lot to me in terms of earned income.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

If you want to eventually live and practice inside the US, then do an MD as it will be simply a more straightforward process. Stigma really isn't that much - you are whatever you can show on the boards and past acheivements, etc., .

If you want to practice in Europe or the rest of the world, then MBBS would be a better bet as MD + residency doesn't mean anything except basic training outside US.

I would think MD would be a better route if you plan on pursuing some of the more competitive residencies also - like say ortho surgery or something. It will all come down to where you want to live and practice for your life. No point in doing MBBS instead of MD if you want to live in the US and practice there - quite simply, do what the US wants if you want the US.

If it comes down to two years earlier graduation and you'll be sitting the same USMLE boards *anyway* then it doesn't mean any difference in the long run.

if you want to practice in the US then do your MD here. It will give you many more options than studying at UWI. If you want to go to the UK or stay in the WI, then do your MBBS there.

If you just want to be a general practice doc, and you don't care where you do residency (don't want fellowship), then do your MBBS. With good scores on the MLEs, you will get something somewhere. But at this stage, you can't be sure what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget that some US state licensing boards require a minimum amount of undergraduate work (ie, college or university) before medical school. The exceptions are BS/MD programs and MBBS (or other international degree) programs that include these units.

If you want to practice in the US, don't hurry and try to skimp on the basic requirements. Enjoy college, take some courses you wouldn't otherwise and make life easier on yourself when it comes time for residency placement and licensing. Two years in the grand scheme of things is a drop in the bucket.

I personally don’t see the point of doing an undergrad degree if you really want to do medicine, so I can understand why you would want to go for an MBBS. Most of the consultants here in England with BSc have so many letters after their name that they don’t even bother writing it! If u do decide to go for an MBBS make sure u do it somewhere english speaking and respectable (ie. UK/AUS), as it will be easier to go to the states afterwards.

It’s also important not to shoot yourself in the foot because even if leave the US, it’ll be really hard to get the top specialties (ie. ENT, ortho, ect.) and you might develop a real interest in these fields when in med school. If you’ve got your heart set on the states… stay there, because there’s nothing worse than not being able to do what u really want to do. :(