MCAT 1 month from today: focus more on EK 1001 Bio or TPRH Science Workbook Bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoItToIt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT is 1 month from today and I have all of the EK 1001/101 books and the TPRH materials. From anyone that has already taken the real deal recently and/or used these in preparation, would it be smarter to focus on working through the the PR Science Workbook only? Or should I still mix in EK 1001 passages? The only thing I can find is that the PR Science Workbook might help more because it has more "understanding the passage"-type questions. Just wondering which will help more ultimately, thanks for any input!!

Members don't see this ad.

My MCAT is 1 month from today and I have all of the EK 1001/101 books and the TPRH materials. From anyone that has already taken the real deal recently and/or used these in preparation, would it be smarter to focus on working through the the PR Science Workbook only? Or should I still mix in EK 1001 passages? The only thing I can find is that the PR Science Workbook might help more because it has more "understanding the passage"-type questions. Just wondering which will help more ultimately, thanks for any input!!

Where do the AAMC practice exams work into this for you?

I would say that you should take those, and the drill down on the 1001/tprh on your problem sections after reviewing the test.

You're not going to know everything 100% going into the exam, but if you end up with weaknesses then you should work on those. Blindly practicing when you're 1 month out isn't a great idea.

Sure you should do a little of everything, but you should focus on the stuff that's holding you back.

Where do the AAMC practice exams work into this for you?

I would say that you should take those, and the drill down on the 1001/tprh on your problem sections after reviewing the test.

You're not going to know everything 100% going into the exam, but if you end up with weaknesses then you should work on those. Blindly practicing when you're 1 month out isn't a great idea.

Sure you should do a little of everything, but you should focus on the stuff that's holding you back.

This past Saturday I took AAMC 5, and starting this week I've been doing exactly that. Monday I focused only on the physics areas it said I missed questions on, reviewed the material after the actual exam, then did relevant 1001 problems and passages from the PR Science Workbook. Then Tuesday was OChem, yesterday genchem, and today biology (while doing 2 VR passages daily also). My plan is to take one of the rest of the AAMCs (7-11) every Saturday morning up until the test, fitting one of them in somewhere between also since I have one more than I do weekends. Then, spend the next week reviewing that exam and continuing to hit the problem areas.

So while I'm nailing down on missed question areas, my main issue was wondering, since I had 2 sources of bio passages, whether one book was better to focus down on. I'll probably try to do as much as I can in both. I'm definitely only focusing on my problem areas though.

I think it depends.

Ek is better if you're struggling with one particular concept since it's all discretes.

TPR would be better since they have more passages, no? I've never used tpr so I'm just guessing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends.

Ek is better if you're struggling with one particular concept since it's all discretes.

TPR would be better since they have more passages, no? I've never used tpr so I'm just guessing.

I'm not actually sure which has more. EK overall probably does because there are like 11 passages for all 9 lectures. The EK 1001 bio book is the only one of the set with actual passages, then random discretes here and there. The other subject books are all discretes.

TPRH SW Bio. EK 1001 Bio is far too easy and not representative of what you'll see on test day. Also, you need to do concentrated practice during the final month and it doesn't sound like you are.

TPRH SW Bio. EK 1001 Bio is far too easy and not representative of what you'll see on test day. Also, you need to do concentrated practice during the final month and it doesn't sound like you are.

When you say concentrated practice what exactly do you mean? I thought, from reading lots of posts on here, that what was recommended the last month of studying was practice tests, and reviewing the heck out of those tests while nailing down weak areas?