MCAT 2014 or 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeremiahJohnson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I'm currently preparing to take the MCAT for mid-January. Now I was wondering, if I'm not scoring on the AAMC practice exams around the general area I want by late-December, early-January, should I shoot for the MCAT 2015 for May/June?

Does anyone know how similar the 2014 is to the 2015 test in regards to the way in which they test your knowledge? Would most of my Biology/Orgo/Gen/Physics knowledge for the MCAT 2014 test carry over to the 2015 and I'll just need to keep-up/refresh myself on that knowledge while studying for the new sections or is the exam so radically different that the studying I'm doing between now and January will have very little impact on studying for the MCAT 2015 exam?

Thank you very much, all input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Have the mentality starting now that you are going to be scoring solid on aamc exams by January. There's no chance I postpone and don't take this exam in January as planned, and that's regardless of what I'm scoring on aamc practice exams b/c this is the last chance ever to take this version of the mcat. I'd argue that your odds of doing better now are greater than on 2015 b/c you have almost 100 days till the test date with proven prep material that works whereas for the 2015 exam, no prep companies know exactly how the exam is going to be, therefore, its a gamble putting all your eggs in that basket. Just study hard now, look at it as a challenge, and take the 2014 exam as planned in January no matter what.

Also, based on results people post on here, +/-5 pts from all 8 aamc averages is likely going to be your mcat score. Some people says +/-3 pts but there are outliers that do substantially better or worse. So hope for all 8 aamc average of 33 and this should put you in solid shape....that's my goal, we'll see how it works!

Thanks for the advice! My only problem is that I'm taking 5 classes and have a part-time job, so even with 3 months of prep time it can still be rough. I will put in everything I got though and shoot for this Jan test.
you can do it, I just think it is worth taking the Jan 2015 exam even if you aren't 100% ready because there is no way you will be sure if you are ready for the new mcat2015 exam since no content/practice out there is going to be on par with it.

I'd put in the "extra hard work" in and try to take the old exam. I took the new exam "pilot" after my actual MCAT....and it was bad. In other words, try to do whatever you can to do well on this exam you're taking in January. It's doable...just need to put the time in.