MCAT 2014 vs 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MathewsMD

Pre-med
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I'm currently considering writing the MCAT in the summer of 2014. I will have completed first year Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology by then. I also plan on taking Organic Chemistry I and II in the summer before the test.

In your experience, is it necessary to take physiology, biochemistry or any other upper year course before the MCAT? My other option would be taking the new MCAT in 2015 after taking the already listed courses. I would be taking Organic Chemistry I and II in the summer of 2014 still, though.

Any insight would be helpful, and would you recommend taking a first year sociology course in second year as well?

Sorry for the questions. I know a lot of it is personal and can only be assess by the actual person writing the test, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you could suggest the prep books, practice material and schedule you followed (in terms of length and time spent) or recommend, that would be amazing.

Also, are there any other courses you would recommend taking either during the summer or regular semester? Would handling a job and Organic Chemistry I and II, each for 4 weeks be a good idea? Also, is the lab component for all the courses listed necessary for medical schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Take the 2014 one. It's a safer bet and you would have satisfied all the pre-reqs anyways.

Hello! I didn't want to start yet another 2014 vs 2015 thread, so I figured I'd piggyback onto this one.. I hope the OP doesn't mind (sorry OP).

As of now, I plan on applying for fall 2017 med school admission. Currently doing a post-bacc through Spring of 2016. I plan on applying for SMPs with the hopes of enrolling for fall 2016 SMP admission. So..

Postbacc: Present-Spring 2016
SMP (hopefully)/Med School Application cycle: Fall 2016 - Spring 2017

Should I stick to the last 2014 examination in January 2015? Or just take the 2015 exam? I'm worried (as I'm sure everyone else is) that with this new exam, it might make it harder to find actual study materials for this 2015 exam (2 practice exam vs the 11 for the older MCAT?? that's unfair IMO) and also make it harder to reasonably do well.

I mean people know what to expect for the older MCAT. But what about this new MCAT? How can one reasonably say that their score is a reliable tool for application criteria especially since MCAT2015 will still be in limbo? I honestly like this new challenge of a different MCAT, but I am worried over the limited amount of reliable material that will be out for use in preparing for the exam. I know I am over thinking it, but I honestly feel I have every right to do so, especially since I'm one of the low GPA groups. And please no "forget about med school." I will do whatever is needed to pull through to the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, keep in mind that january 2015 = old MCAT still!

I'm facing a similar thought process of taking in summer 2014 or going for january 2015...will do physics that summer, and biochem won't be until fall. I'm still leaning towards studying fall semester all out and taking it in jan 2015.

Hey!

I'm currently considering writing the MCAT in the summer of 2014. I will have completed first year Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology by then. I also plan on taking Organic Chemistry I and II in the summer before the test.

In your experience, is it necessary to take physiology, biochemistry or any other upper year course before the MCAT? My other option would be taking the new MCAT in 2015 after taking the already listed courses. I would be taking Organic Chemistry I and II in the summer of 2014 still, though.

Any insight would be helpful, and would you recommend taking a first year sociology course in second year as well?

Sorry for the questions. I know a lot of it is personal and can only be assess by the actual person writing the test, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you could suggest the prep books, practice material and schedule you followed (in terms of length and time spent) or recommend, that would be amazing.

Also, are there any other courses you would recommend taking either during the summer or regular semester? Would handling a job and Organic Chemistry I and II, each for 4 weeks be a good idea? Also, is the lab component for all the courses listed necessary for medical schools?

Thanks!

Yea you will have completed all of the pre-reqs, but in my experience upper level bio courses are very helpful when it comes to the actual test. While you will have the advantage of having all of the material fresh in your mind, there is no way I would have gotten a 14 on the BS section without my junior genetics and other BioSci courses. Of course there is a good chance you will score well without these courses if you are solid on the basics. On the other hand, it is nice to have these in your back pocket in case you get a relevant passage. This isn't necessarily a reason to push your test date though especially considering the lengthy new MCAT.

Basically imo, these courses are a great supplement but not necessary. For me they made BS much easier and quicker to get through with a broader base of knowledge, and from my impression it seems like BS is heading more and more toward genetics/biochem even before the switch to the new test. Additionally since OP plans to take summer orgo, make sure you get all the other pre-reqs down before summer. In my case, my physics courses didn't cover vision and lenses/mirrors so if something like that happens it may be a bit of a cram session to learn that on top of summer courses/practice tests.

Personally I would have never taken the test at the end of 2nd year just because I didn't do great in my chemistry courses so I had to put a lot of time in to relearn. However, I know several people personally that did really well in all of the pre-reqs and scored well (33+) on the real thing without a lot of preparation. Also, it never seemed like there was a lot of orgo focus so having it fresh should=little to no review of orgo for OP.

Edit: I do not think sociology in the 2nd year is at all necessary. I managed a 34 but I had a lot of ground to make up on chem so I used my textbook there while using EK content review for the other subjects. Didn't follow any specific study plan, just what I could manage while working/school and took an AAMC practice test each week starting a month before the test date.

Last edited:
I'm prob gonna do either an SMP, or a one year research stint at a place like Scripps, NIH, or Mayo Clinic (if I get in).