MCAT 2014 vs. 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopepraylove12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I know this question has been asked a million times already, but I'm trying to decide when to take the MCAT. I graduated in 2012, so its been 2 years since I have taken my prerequisites. I have taken all pre-req courses except for the third quarter of physics, which I believe was focused on waves and optics. How important are waves and optics for the MCAT and would that be difficult to teach myself?

The next factor is that I will not be applying to med school right away, I will probably apply in 2 years. Will the 2014 MCAT still be good then?

I would like to take the MCAT in either October/November and be able to retake it in January is possible. And, then start re-taking some pre-req courses in January 2015. But, would it be smarter to re-take my courses first, and then take the MCAT? I would rather take the current version than the new version, but if its better that way I can suck it up and take it in 2015.

The other thing is I'm thinking about applying to some SMP programs and must require MCAT scores, but need to bring my GPA up before applying, and that might take another year or so. Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I know this question has been asked a million times already, but I'm trying to decide when to take the MCAT. I graduated in 2012, so its been 2 years since I have taken my prerequisites. I have taken all pre-req courses except for the third quarter of physics, which I believe was focused on waves and optics. How important are waves and optics for the MCAT and would that be difficult to teach myself?

The next factor is that I will not be applying to med school right away, I will probably apply in 2 years. Will the 2014 MCAT still be good then?

I would like to take the MCAT in either October/November and be able to retake it in January is possible. And, then start re-taking some pre-req courses in January 2015. But, would it be smarter to re-take my courses first, and then take the MCAT? I would rather take the current version than the new version, but if its better that way I can suck it up and take it in 2015.

The other thing is I'm thinking about applying to some SMP programs and must require MCAT scores, but need to bring my GPA up before applying, and that might take another year or so. Any advice? Thanks!

It is up to each individual school how long an MCAT score is good for and when they will switch over to just accepting the new exam. So it depends on where you're applying. Some schools are going to follow their usual expiration times, so if they say the MCAT score is good for 3 years they'll accept either if it's within three years. There are a few schools that will be switching strictly to the new score much sooner than other schools and sooner than indicated on AMCASs little guide.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/332616/whichexamwillyoutake.html

Here's a link to a thread that talks about this and mentions some schools that want only the new MCAT for the app cycle starting in 2015

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...for-2016-matriculation.1076691/#post-15344560

I read on AMCAS a couple months that they would automatically release scores for the old exam like they currently do into either 2017 or 2018? They hadn't finalized which one yet.

A few schools, such as IUSM, will only be accepting the new MCAT rather soon.

However, from what I've seen on the trial section, you probably don't want to take the new MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
what if you take it in 2014? and if the score is not as good as you wanted, you'll have time to re-take it.