1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MCAT 2015: Resources and Reviews

Discussion in 'Next Step MCAT Tutor Office Hours (Sponsored)' started by Next Step Tutor, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Next Step Tutor

Next Step Tutor MCAT Guru 2+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    (last updated 2015-03-18: added the AAMC's question packs and Gold Standard's free diag)

Full Practice Exams

AAMC: The AAMC will only be releasing one full test for 2015. It's out and it costs $25. The diagnostics that you get when you finish it are really weak. It won't even give you an estimated score so it's not so great for assessing where you are in your performance. It won't give you a breakdown by difficulty level, content area, cognitive skill, nothing. What it can do is give you a really good "feel" for the test.

My suggestion: take the official practice test immediately upon starting your MCAT prep. Then do 3-4 months of prep and re-take it a week before your MCAT.

Alternatively, use a test prep company test as your diagnostic and then save the AAMC exam for about ~3 weeks before your real MCAT to guide your prep in the last couple of weeks.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/preparing/

Next Step: We have a free half-length diagnostic that you can sign up for here:

http://nextsteptestprep.com/mcat-2015-diagnostic-practice-test/

We also have 5 full length exams available here:

http://nextsteptestprep.com/mcat-practice-tests/

Kaplan: If you buy Kaplan's full boxed set of MCAT 2015 books on Amazon you'll get three tests bundled with it and some other online resources. And of course if you sign up for one of their full ($2000+) offerings you'll get tests bundled in. Kaplan never used to sell practice tests as a stand-alone product and I don't know that they will now.

Princeton Review: TPR's MCAT 2015 books also come with a "sample test" and two full lengths. The key thing here is that TPR will give you three full tests even if you only buy one of their books. Spending $30 for a prep book and three full tests is an amazing deal that you can't beat. I suggest picking up their Psych book or the Bio/Biochem book so you've got an extra resource on the new parts of the MCAT:

http://www.amazon.com/MCAT-Psychology-Sociology-Review-Preparation/dp/0804124736/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1412703263&sr=8-5&keywords=princeton mcat 2015

Princeton Review has also started selling a package of stand-alone tests. It's $300 for 8 tests, which is about the going rate but a little on the high side ($38/test). The only issue here is that they overlap with the tests you get if just buy a single book for $35, so you're essentially paying $300 for just 5 new tests. At $60/test that's getting unreasonable. I can only recommend their test bundle if you haven't already bought one of their books.

Here's the link to that stand alone product:

http://www.princetonreview.com/mcat2015test/

MCAT Cracker: I also found another website offering 3 full MCAT 2015 practice tests for about $100: MCAT Cracker (sounds like someone is going to get a Cease & Desist letter from EK pretty soon): http://mcatcracker.com/

I clicked into the tests for "mcatcracker" and found the content on the first couple of passages to be weak-to-okay-ish but the overall layout to be really weak. They've made no effort to replicate the feel and functionality of the AAMC. If anyone else uses them and has some feedback, please let me know so I can update.

Berkeley Review: So far, all I've seen from TBR is that if you go to their website and click into info about their classroom course, you see that it will include three full 2015 tests and two "sectional" tests, but if I'm reading that right, that actually means the equivalent of five full tests:

http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/courseprogram.html

I assume they'll still offer their tests to the general public under the same terms that they've always used. If they stick with the same policies, then my general advice about TBR will stay the same: their tests are very good, very hard (kind of too hard, but that's good for some ppl), but their access policies really suck (less than 2 months, etc.) Hopefully they'll change their policies to be more liberal, but we won't know for awhile yet.

ExamKrackers: The EK website lists their classroom course as containing "4 or 5" tests that're "based on availability" which sounds kind of weird to me. My guess as to what that means is that they're working on the tests but couldn't commit to how many they'd have done by the time their classes started. The weird thing is that some of their course schedules (like this one) list 4 tests but others list 5 (like this one).

Given that EK has always sold their classroom materials (the books) on Amazon, I have to assume they'll continue that and sell their tests to the general public as well. And EK has always put out a great product, so I assume their tests will be good too. But we'll have to wait and see.

Quick update here, as of 3/18/15 they aren't selling their tests as a stand-alone product.

Gold Standard: GS is offering a free 1/3 length diagnostic test here:

http://www.mcat-prep.com/free-mcat-practice-test/

Any other full tests out yet that anyone knows about? I haven't seen anything from GS but I imagine they'll be forthcoming.

Practice Questions / Sections/ Books

AAMC: The Official Guide has 20 passages in it and a dozen or two of discrete questions. Buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-MCAT-Exam-MCAT2015/dp/1577541332/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412090104&sr=8-1&keywords=aamc mcat

The AAMC have also released Question Packs, which are just big packs of practice passages. There's a bunch of Bio, Chem, CARS, and Physics (sadly no biochem, psych, soc, or orgo). I've clicked into them and looked through them a little and they're just re-purposed older passages from the self-assessment packages and older tests. If you happen to have your hands on PDFs of those older passages, I'm not entirely sure it's worth the money to buy the Question Packs.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/preparing/

One slightly cheaper alternative here if you don't want to spend $30 on the official guide: the online access to the questions is only $10, the content outline is free, and much of the OG's content is free on the AAMC's website if you're willing to click through each page and read everything.

Next Step: We have a Strategy and Practice books (buy direct here for discount off the Amazon price) for each of the four timed sections on the test. These are not content books - just books with full, timed practice sections.

Khan Academy: The Khan Academy includes over 200 free passages online. The quality ranges from pretty weak to good, but they're adequate given that they're free. The main issue here is that they don't have explanations, just "hints" that don't really help if you're struggling. They also don't have any verbal. There's no discussion of test strategy or how best to attack the question. The interface doesn't look anything like the real test, yadda yadda. Overall I would only recommend them if you're prepping on a budget or if you just need lots of additional practice that you can't find elsewhere.

Kaplan: The Kaplan books don't have any practice passages in them, but if you register the books online you get access to an online syllabus that will have practice passages. For the past three months I've been recommending these books, based on the notion that Kaplan would fill up the online syllabus with practice passages, but I'm now changing my recommendation from "definitely buy" to "toss up". The new test is now less than a month away and the online syllabus still only has random little collections of passages. In terms of total practice, the Kaplan books are about on par with TPR and slightly more than EK.

Princeton Review: The Princeton Review books have a practice passage or two at the end of each chapter in their books, which is nice since you can practice immediately upon finishing the chapter. However if you register the books online you don't get any additional quizzes or practice sets - just the tests mentioned above.

Sterling Test Prep: They have a book out called "MCAT Practice Tests: 4 Biological & Biochemical, 4 Chemical & Physical Foundations". Avoid at all costs. I'm not even going to link to it. I won't bother going into a full review, suffice to say they didn't even follow the new MCAT format - the "sections" only have 7 passages, not the 9-10 on the new exam, they just padded it up to 59 questions by adding too many discretes, etc.

ExamKrackers: ExamKrackers 9th edition is out on Amazon now. EK continues true to form. The books are super-focused, very concise, with high quality, test-like passages and lots of big colorful images.

As such, I think the advice for EK books is much the same as it was for their 7th/8th edition: they're a good resource for kids with a strong science background who only need a concise review. They're also a good second resource for students already taking KTP/TPR classes or Next Step tutoring.

Unlike the 7th/8th editions, the 9th edition boxed set does not come with a practice MCAT inside, and I don't see anything about an online activation for a test, so that is one strike against this set. They do include a 3-passage quiz for each chapter which are really high quality work. Overall, these are good books but have slightly less practice than KTP/TPR.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=examkrackers 9th edition&rh=i:aps,k:examkrackers 9th edition

The EK 1001's, 16 mini-mcats, 101VR, etc are all still out there but unless you get them free from a friend, I'd suggest avoiding those secondary resources for the old test.

Berkeley Review
    : Haven't seen anything yet. Supposedly they're coming some time in the summer. I can only assume they'll produce the same kind of books - really thorough (perhaps overly thorough) with tons of good passages:

http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html

Content Review

#1 absolute must-use resource: AAMC Official Guide (linked above)
    #2 free resource: Khan Academy videos (linked above)

The core process of reviewing content isn't changing for the new MCAT. So you can still use video courses, classroom courses, textbooks, MCAT books, etc. Most folks will choose to use MCAT Review Books, discussed above.

Video Courses

Thanks to the AAMC's partnership with Khan Academy, there's a free set of video resources available.

https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat

Because the content was created by volunteers, the quality is really variable. Some folks were amazing experts and made great videos, others have errors, are confusing, or are re-purposed science videos from previous Khan content. I still think it's a great, free resource that's worth using in conjunction with review books if you're the type who likes the video lecture format.

Chad's videos are still out there and since so much of the MCAT content hasn't changed, they still represent an excellent review and a good cost-quality ratio. He's also added/updated for the new test so his stuff looks current.

Kaplan is still selling its video-only course for nearly the same full price as their live classes. I don't understand why anyone would pay $2000 for a video-only course, since you could get all the books/materials you need, plus either free Khan or inexpensive coursesaver, all for 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Having said that, I suppose if you're not worried about budget, it is one-stop shopping. If you don't mind paying for the convenience, Kaplan will give you a ton of stuff for the tuition.

Classroom Courses

For now, this is just a placeholder. Obviously we won't have much in the way of reviews until folks actually start taking classroom courses for the new test. As of now, the companies that I know are running prep courses for the new test are Next Step, Berkeley, Kaplan, EK, and Princeton.

I assume other smaller companies like Altius will be offering classes, but I don't know about them yet.

One thing worth noting: both Kaplan and Princeton are bumping the price up in the new year. Their classroom course is now going to cost something like $2500.

As you research classes, be sure to read the details carefully. Kaplan is selling it's course by saying that it's a bajillion instructional hours, but the Kaplan MCAT class is only 12 sessions in a class with an instructor. The rest is online videos and such. Princeton Review continues to go the other way with over 100 in-class hours, meeting usually 4x week. That has the advantage of lots of teacher contact time, but you don't get time between classes to do homework.

One-on-One Tutoring

Tutoring will remain basically unchanged for the new test, since the hallmark of tutoring is one-on-one attention and adding psych/soc to the mix doesn't change that.

Again, I'm sure all the usual suspects will be offering tutoring - Next Step, Kaplan, Princeton. I don't think EK or Berkeley ever did much in the way of tutoring. If you find anything, please let me know so I can update.

For this post, I'll just very strongly recommend you read my advice about how to choose a tutor here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-to-pick-an-mcat-tutor.1062608/

Other Resources

Kaplan 528 Book. Kaplan has always sold a series of books based on the top score on the exam (e.g. SAT 1600, GMAT 800, etc.) The "online activation" that comes with the book includes videos and one full test. If you're not going to buy any other Kaplan book, buy this one. It's only ~$35 on Amazon and getting an (okay-ish) book plus a full practice test for $35 is a good deal:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/kaplan-mcat-528-kaplan/1119478508?ean=9781618656315

What else is out there? As you come across prep options that maybe don't fall into one of the classic categories, let me know and I'll update this post.

I hope this thread is able to serve as a valuable resource to collect and discuss the resources that're out there for the 2015 exam.

Thanks and good luck!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    gigi12, twinBqt, _holes_ and 4 others like this.
  2. Next Step Tutor

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    My hope that Kaplan would fill up the online syllabus for the 7-book boxed set has not materialized and the new exam is only 3 months away. Here's my new recommendation list:

1. AAMC Official Guide
    2. AAMC Official Practice Test
    3. Next Step's free diagnostic
    4. Khan Academy / Chad's Videos (toss up here, make your choice based on budget)
    5. Buy one book each from KTP and TPR: Buy Kaplan's 528 MCAT and TPR either Bio/Biochem or Psych/Soc, whichever you're more worried about.

• Each of those books is about ~$35ish dollars on Amazon. Kaplan's 528 comes with one test and a TPR book comes with 3 tests.

6. Either the NS content review books or the EK 9th edition (I eventually settled on EK7th as my set of choice for the old MCAT and now I think I'm going to go with them as my main recommendation outside my company's resources for the new test)

7. CARS / verbal review: toss up between the old TPRH, TBR, NS new CARS practice book

8. Additional Practice Passages: toss up between Khan's practice, NS practice books

Edit: Ignore everything below. I'm now changing my advice to what's above.

Okay I've been mulling this over and I think I can't recommend the EK 9th edition, as a general rule.

They're par for the course for EK. Meaning they're good, but frankly I can't recommend them.

Here's the problem with buying EK books - you're spending the same amt of money you would on the Kap or TPR books but you're not getting nearly so many practice passages.

The TPR set has 2 passages at the end of every chapter and more chapters (EK has 3 passages but fewer chapters) but more importantly, TPR set comes with online access to three full practice tests.

The KTP set has NO passages but it does come with access to an online syllabus that includes 3 full tests and a number of other resources. I'll give the KTP online syllabus another look in January to decide whether the KTP online syllabus out-shines the add'l passages you get from TPR.

Really what I'm seeing here (unless EK is going to add more practice somehow) is that EK is following the same philosophy they did with the old MCAT, but they're not reacting to the fact that the landscape has fundamentally changed.

It used to be that with 8 AAMC tests and 5 AAMC SAP's you could buy a set like EK without that much practice and you'd be okay b/c there were so many AAMC tests. But now, there's only 1 AAMC test (and "Official Questions" coming at some point) so you've got to evaluate your prep books much more on the basis of how much practice material you're going to get.

At this point, what I'm recommending is something like this: (0. Buy all AAMC's. Goes w/o saying) 1. Buy the KTP full set for the online syllabus. 2. Buy the TPR Pysch/Soc book b/c you get access to 3 full tests for only buying 1 book. 3. Buy Next Step's Strategy and Practice books for add'l practice if you need it. 4. Buy Next Step full online tests for additional full test simulation.

Alternatively, you could buy a really extensive set of books (here that would mean the entire TBR set or the entire Next Step set) and then separately hunt around for online full-lengths.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    dominos16, oldstock and gadgor like this.
  3. gadgor

gadgor 2+ Year Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Has anyone bought MCAT 528? If so, do you guys recommend it?

4. eatandpoop

eatandpoop

Nov 16, 2014
    Hypothetically assuming that all their passages are on par, which books would you solely recommend for content review?

Princeton Review hasn't edited much of their old stuff (especially Physics) and they still include material that aren't on the new MCAT's outline. There are many things on the MCAT outline that they haven't even touched in their new books.

EK seems really slack on their Biochem material.

Kaplan seems okay so far, but there are also mentionings of other things that were on the old mcat, but not the new mcat.

What are your opinions?

Levrone likes this.
  5. Levrone

Levrone 2+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2014
    do you also have all the materials? I'd also like to know the answer to content alone, assuming the extra content from full lengths can be ignored

I want to know which books alone (only going by what's in the books) will help the most with getting a high score for the new 2015 mcat? from what I heard the answer is EK

or let's say someone has all 2015 content. what should they be reading?

6. Deba

Deba 2+ Year Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Hey thanks for the advice i've been doing a lot of research and your strategy seems to be the best so far the only question i have is where can i Buy the Next Step full online tests????

7. edgerock24

edgerock24 2+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2012
  8. introverted

introverted

Nov 29, 2014
    Just a heads up everyone regarding the Khan Academy vids if you haven't checked them out yet... they are quite incomplete, i.e. missing a good amount of topics that you need to know for the AAMC. I just got through the FC1 videos and they don't have anything on biotechnology/cloning. Also there doesn't seem to be anything about mitosis in FC2. Also I believe there are whole content categories missing, i.e. no videos at all for FC2B

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    Glazedonutlove likes this.
  9. Glazedonutlove

Glazedonutlove 2+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Have any of you bought the next step fl? Is it worth $150?!

10. Ailleurs

Ailleurs 7+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2007
    I've watched a few of the Khan Academy videos for MCAT. I can't say that I was a big fan :( Are they really supposed to be that great? I'd honestly rather study on my own than watch videos that (I feel) add in superfluous material! Not to mention, deciding what is overkill and what is appropriate to study for the MCAT 2015 in terms of content review, is part of the learning process as it helps you process what you're learning better (at least IMO anyway).

11. Next Step Tutor

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah I'm realizing they are REALLY variable in terms of quality. You definitely have to watch them at 1.5x or 2x speed to get through them briskly.

From a cost / prep ratio they're still good since they're free but I'm finding more and more of them that are mediocre, or have many mistakes, etc.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    Ailleurs likes this.
  12. radian313

radian313 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Should I just do course saver then?

13. Next Step Tutor

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    You know, I really don't know. I think it's a toss-up.

14. Next Step Tutor

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    BUMP: Made changes to the first post and significantly altered my recommendations post underneath that.

15. nolookpass

nolookpass 5+ Year Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks.

Is it true the Princeton Review Bio/Biochem book is mostly bio from their old book and not much biochem, while the Kaplan book is 400 pages of biochem?

Also what is the Kaplan 528 book?

16. Glazedonutlove

Glazedonutlove 2+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Anyone done the official guide passages!? Bio is so time consuming

17. Forca Barca

Forca Barca 5+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Are you recommending EK 9th edition BIO 1 and 2 for content review? I'm not sure to buy that or the NS bio/biochem. I already have the 7th EK BIO and Old TPR Bio but I really need some Biochem stuff and the Bio for the new mcat.

18. Next Step Tutor

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    The TPR Bio/Biochem review book has 3-ish chapters that would probably qualify as biochem (Biological Molecules, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Appendix 1: Molec Bio Techniques) out of a 14 chapter book. That roughly mirrors the breakdown on the real exam, which will be 65% bio questions and 35% biochem questions (the balance of 10% is a mix of chem and orgo).

The Kaplan Biochem book is a stand-alone biochem book.

The EK books don't even try to draw a line between bio and biochem (an admirable position, I think) and just have Bio Volume 1: Molecules and Bio Volume 2: Physiology.

The Next Step Bio/Biochem book is about ~200-230 pages each of bio and biochem (we went heavy on biochem since it's the new scary stuff).

The Kaplan 528 book is a standalone volume that gives you a rundown of the whole test, with a focus on strategy and one practice passage for each science on the test. More importantly, it's a $35 book with a decent strategy review and an online activation for a practice test. Given that the market rate for practice MCATs is about $30-35/test (what TBR used to charge for their old exams, what NS is charging for their new exams) spending $35 to get one book and one test is a good deal.

19. Forca Barca

Jul 15, 2011
    Is this the 528 you're talking about?

seems like a good deal if it comes with a practice exam.

Do you know when NS will come out with a passages book for Biochem/Biology? I can't find it on Amazon and I really need some Biochem passages to complement my 2014 TPRH Science workbook and NS Psych/Soc.

20. Forca Barca

Jul 15, 2011
    I actually have the entire 2013 MCAT TPR Set (Content + TPRH + TPRVerbal +EK 7th BIO). I purchased NS CARS + NS Psych passages + TPR Psych/Soc.

I'm just wondering if I should go for Kaplan's overkill and huge Biochem book or whether NS Biochem is sufficient? I appreciate your advice.

21. ral22

ral22 2+ Year Member

Nov 7, 2013
    What do you think about the Khan Academy videos? Are they comprehensive?

22. Next Step Tutor

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    The quality is variable. Some videos are excellent, others are okay-ish. They're a good resource if you're a very "auditory" learner and need to listen to someone talking through the content.

They absolutely are NOT full review themselves, but are a great add-on to a set of prep books.

23. ral22

ral22 2+ Year Member

Nov 7, 2013
    So you would say they are good to watch before bed after some good book studying?

24. yjj8817

yjj8817 7+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Anyone using the old practice question materials such as ek 1001 or tprh sci workbook? Are those still useful?

25. Levrone

Levrone 2+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2014
    tprh, yes. ek1001, i'd look for better resources

26. Next Step Tutor

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    TPR has thrown their hat into the ring on the stand-alone tests front. It's $299 for 8 tests and I've added it to the original post.

27. Hybridezed29er

Hybridezed29er

Jan 12, 2015
    According to reviews on Amazon, the TPR physics book is rife with mistakes. Can anyone else comment on that? Also, I just ordered the biochem and humanities TPR books. I have done lots of research and found no complaints about them. Has anyone read or heard otherwise?

28. yjj8817

yjj8817 7+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2010

Thanks! What about tbr passages?

29. fugacitybrah

fugacitybrah 2+ Year Member

Jun 16, 2013
    What are the chances that these companies (Nextstep, TBR, TPR) will offer the sale of stand alone practice exams for the upcoming years? I know for sure TBR will offer these separate practice exam packages outside of classrooms. But I'm not sure Nextstep and TPR will always offer this. I plan to restudy for the new mcat summer 2016 and more of a quiet and independent learner. BTW thanks for such an informative thread --looks like nextstep is going to be a big name for the new mcat. Also, are the amazon reviews for the nextstep prep books legit? lol

30. introverted

introverted

Nov 29, 2014
    I think the AAMC released the practice question sets yesterday. Bryan would you like to update the original post? :)

endomain likes this.
  31. avdentes

avdentes 2+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2014
    @Next Step Tutor Not sure if it has been asked, but would you recommend firecracker for the MCAT as a useful prep tool?

32. rraidermd

rraidermd 2+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2014
    I noticed on amazon that if you look at one of Kaplan's individual books opposed to the set, it still says 3 full-length practice tests are included. Can anyone confirm if this is still true?

33. Next Step Tutor

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    We have absolutely no plans to require that students spend thousands of dollars on tutoring to get our MCAT materials. Our books and tests will always be made available as stand-alone products for those students looking to self-study or to supplement their other plans with additional FL's or Practice books. The only changes we plan to make are ongoing upgrades, improvements, and additions to our materials.

b.

34. FOUR2004

FOUR2004 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I am currently registered for a Kaplan Mcat on site prep course that starts in May; however, I am hesitant about proceeding with this plan because I fear that this course would expose me mostly to kaplan practice exams granted that there is only one AAMC full length exam available in turn limit my practice. Thus, I am thinking about canceling my registration and using the refund to buy a variety of prep material and practice in an effort to broaden my exposure.
    I would really appreciate any advice.

35. Next Step Tutor

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm not sure I can really give the best advice here, since you're asking about two fundamentally different things - the reason you sign up for a prep class is to get the organization, the discipline, having a group doing it all together, etc. It's like going to classes at a gym - you're not really paying because they have the best treadmills (every gym has treadmills!), you're paying for the group environment.

If you dropped your KTP class and got a full refund of the $2000, you could absolutely get a much better variety of resources and, I think, get overall much better prep for the MCAT by virtue of getting practice from several different prep companies. But you're giving up the main value of enrolling in a class - the class environment, the classmates, the teacher, etc.

So really it's based on what kind of student you are - can you be self-organized and self-disciplined enough to make a study schedule and stick to it? Can you organize your own study groups through fb or SDN or something? If so, then you should absolutely drop the KTP course. But if you know that you'd just slack off or get distracted (I sure would!) or lose momentum, then you should stay in the class.

If you stay in the KTP class, at the bare minimum, you should supplement your KTP resources with the following:
    Free NS diagnostic
    Free TPR sample test
    Free Khan Academy passages (do at least 30-50 of them, the equivalent of a full MCAT)

If you drop the KTP class and now have $2000+ to spend on resources, then you should purchase the following:
    AAMC Official Guide
    AAMC Practice Test
    AAMC Question Packs
    EK 9th Edition
    NS Strategy and Practice Books
    NS 5-test pack of online tests
    Kaplan Biochem review book (plus online test)
    Princeton Review Psych book (plus online test)

Good luck!

cn348 likes this.
  36. Next Step Tutor

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey thanks for the reminder. I've been off SDN for awhile and I just updated the thread to include it.

b.

37. Rudisco

Rudisco 2+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2015
    It looks as if Exam Krackers has a Chemistry book, whereas Kaplan has a General Chemistry book in addition to their Organic Chemistry book. Do you think that I should get Kaplan for this reason?

38. Next Step Tutor

Sep 30, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Not necessarily. The EK "Chemistry" book includes both Orgo and Gen Chem in the same book (like ours does). The orgo on the test has been reduced so much that you don't necessarily need an entire separate book to cover organic. I guess I'd say if you feel really weak in orgo and feel like you need a more in-depth review, the KTP book might be good. But if you've already bought the entire EK 9th edition set, then just use the Khan stuff to add to your orgo review.

Good luck!

b.

39. scienceforlyfe

scienceforlyfe

Apr 9, 2015
    I just saw that EK offer 3 stand-alone practice tests (EK-Tests; $50 each) on their website (https://www.examkrackers.com/Store/product_details.aspx?p=196). They are advertised as "part of our [EK's] MCAT® Comprehensive Course." I really hope these are good given the shortage of full-length practice tests out there. Has anyone tried any of these EK-Tests yet? Any feedback on them?

40. mcatjelly

mcatjelly Meow 2+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Oh my gosh yes, thanks for posting this!

If they're anything like their 30 min exams, they're going to be hard as **** but well worth it, in my opinion.

41. scienceforlyfe

scienceforlyfe

Apr 9, 2015
    You're welcome! I was surprised to find them myself. Looks like these are recent additions. Hopefully they are as good as the books. Have you taken any of the AAMC, Kaplan, orr TPR practice tests? What are your thoughts on them?

42. mcatjelly

Dec 21, 2013
    No, not yet, sorry. :/

43. rraidermd

rraidermd 2+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Wow I'll definitely be checking out those EK exams!

44. Yo Sup

Yo Sup

May 11, 2015
    I can't find the Princeton Review 8 Full lengths!! I could find the link about a week ago and this week when I finally decided to buy them they disappeared :'( Can anyone else find them?

45. mcatjelly

Dec 21, 2013
    There's a link in my FAQ in the practice exam section, but I've heard rumors they no longer offer that package. :/

And in terms of cost-effectiveness, you already get four of those eight practice exams when you buy TPR's Complete MCAT book. I don't think it's worth paying $299 just for 4 additional exams; might as well buy TBR's or EK's which are pricey, but not $75 an exam pricey.

nomdeplume1234 likes this.
  46. Syra

Syra 2+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2013

I did see that TPR removed the test package but even still they are not the same tests that you get if you buy the course.

47. koolkid596243

koolkid596243

Nov 15, 2016
    I think this is also an awesome resource:

It's a youtube playlist with MCAT Question of the Day. I find it to be really helpful in reviewing one important concept a day in about 10-15 minutes. Super awesome and there's a new video every day!