MCAT 2015, what are YOU doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allantois

Conversation Starter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as we all know the MCAT is changing and I just wanted to ask what classes do you guys, who will be taking the new MCAT, are planning on taking to best prepare for it in addition to the ones that have always been required (Gen Chem, Orgo Chem, Gen Bio, and Physics). I am especially interested in the responses from those who are not constrained to taking the bare minimum of required coursework as I understand that many students won't be able to complete much beyond the bare minimum while this transition is taking place.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm personally deciding whether I should take new MCAT with minimum Biology (1 year of Gen Biology) preparation or whether I should take more Bio courses first.

Last edited:
I am a psych major, so I need to add a sociology class and will be taking biochem as expected for my chem minor. I was going to take an extra bio class my spring semester but will probably take a lighter load to study for the MCAT. I will be a junior in the fall and must take the 2015 in order to apply to my state school. I would rather not take a gap year, so I will be taking it in late May or June.
I would love to get in Genetics and Cell Biology but I just can't fit them in with my major requirements. Hopefully I will get them in my senior year.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a psych major, so I need to add a sociology class and will be taking biochem as expected for my chem minor. I was going to take an extra bio class my spring semester but will probably take a lighter load to study for the MCAT. I will be a junior in the fall and must take the 2015 in order to apply to my state school. I would rather not take a gap year, so I will be taking it in late May or June.
I would love to get in Genetics and Cell Biology but I just can't fit them in with my major requirements. Hopefully I will get them in my senior year.

I think you might even benefit from the new MCAT as you are a Psych major. I was surprised to find out that there will be a good deal of anatomy on it as well, which is not taught in my Gen Bio class. So I'm not sure how they expect us to learn it..

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking genetics, anatomy & physiology, biochemistry, and cell biology in addition to those classes you named. I took AP Psychology in high school, and hopefully the prep course I will take will cover all the sociology I need.

Reactions: 1 users
In addition to the basics, I will be taking Biochem, Anat & Phys and Intro to Sociology and Anthropology. I took AP Psych in high school, but am planning to take General Psychology anyway to make sure I really have a good handle on the information.

I am taking genetics, anatomy & physiology, biochemistry, and cell biology in addition to those classes you named. I took AP Psychology in high school, and hopefully the prep course I will take will cover all the sociology I need.

I can fit all those courses and take MCAT in January of my Junior year, think I will do just that. Will go and change my schedule for the fall for the hundredth time as I was trying to compress all sciences for this upcoming year.

PS go owls :p

In addition to the basics, I will be taking Biochem, Anat & Phys and Intro to Sociology and Anthropology. I took AP Psych in high school, but am planning to take General Psychology anyway to make sure I really have a good handle on the information.

Anthropology has long been an interest of mine but I feel like all the courses I've been taking or taking are all centered around MCAT. Hopefully I will get a chance to take Cultural Anthropology

I'm not taking it but if I was I'd make damn sure I know all the intricate details of biochem and take a biochem course that engages me in the most active learning possible (preferably with a good hands on lab) and compliment that with research. For psych and sociology I'd realize that the knowledge I need goes beyond such courses so while taking the courses I'd do practice 2015 mcat problems and bring them to professor office hours to reap the whole benefits. I'd also enroll in a 2015 mcat prep course as there is only so much self-studying for the 2015 I can do, and a prep course will provide me more material and insight into what I need to know as it's not a test where you can just wing it with self-prep.

How do you know there is going to be anatomy on the test? And how are you early test takers planning to prepare for it, given that there really aren't that many accurate practice materials (FL tests) available?

How do you know there is going to be anatomy on the test? And how are you early test takers planning to prepare for it, given that there really aren't that many accurate practice materials (FL tests) available?

Personally, I'd say study anatomy for the MCAT no matter what. the traditional mcat is a bit notorious for lowball cheapshot anatomy questions, so at least acquaint yourself with it and know basic muscoskeletal anatomy. always have the background, the mcat throws in little anatomy questions to discern between test takers.

Because I read a wealth of resources both from Kaplan and AAMC? Physiology is basically one of the 10 Foundational concepts for MCAT 2015, which will fall under "Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems" section. https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat/organ-systems (Officially endorsed by AAMC).

As of today Kaplan has released a prep book on every section of the new MCAT but I'm not really an early test taker given that I plan on taking my MCAT in January 2016.

Personally, I'd say study anatomy for the MCAT no matter what. the traditional mcat is a bit notorious for lowball cheapshot anatomy questions, so at least acquaint yourself with it and know basic muscoskeletal anatomy. always have the background, the mcat throws in little anatomy questions to discern between test takers.
:rolleyes:

Several areas of anatomy are already listed on the AAMC content outlines for the current MCAT. It's testable.

Ah okay, I'll look at that^

What exactly do you mean by "basic muscoskeletal anatomy"? Does that mean being able to identify muscles/bones that tend to be common knowledge (bicep, patella), being able to identify less common muscles/bones, or something different all together (like application of torques to hip external rotation in flexion)?

all of the above, you definitely have to know the different types of joints and ways they can rotate (ball and socket, gliding etc). Identify bones and muscles that are common knowledge (leg bones and muscles and arms, shoulders, etc). they may be lower yield, but if you do get them you'll be frustrated you didn't study them.

all of the above, you definitely have to know the different types of joints and ways they can rotate (ball and socket, gliding etc). Identify bones and muscles that are common knowledge (leg bones and muscles and arms, shoulders, etc). they may be lower yield, but if you do get them you'll be frustrated you didn't study them.

And at the same time they dare to say that they only expect one year of Biology from us. My school definitely doesn't teach any of that in Gen Bio, in fact the one of the semesters is completely on plants..

And at the same time they dare to say that they only expect one year of Biology from us. My school definitely doesn't teach any of that in Gen Bio, in fact they one of the semesters is completely on plants..

exactly. i never had that anatomy in any of my courses. gen bio didnt prepare me at all. most of bio sci was self-study for me. upper div courses prepared me more than anything. that plants and evolution stuff was low yield at best.

Because I read a wealth of resources both from Kaplan and AAMC? Physiology is basically one of the 10 Foundational concepts for MCAT 2015, which will fall under "Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems" section. https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat/organ-systems (Officially endorsed by AAMC).

As of today Kaplan has released a prep book on every section of the new MCAT but I'm not really an early test taker given that I plan on taking my MCAT in January 2016.

Sorry if my original post came off as rude, I didn't mean for it to be. I was asking whether or not questions on the new MCAT would be more catered towards pure anatomy, as opposed to physiology. For example would questions such as, "Body part X (latin name) will be dorsal to ____". I was concerned about knowing the nomenclature of specific bones/muscles as opposed to what is in that link.

Sorry if my original post came off as rude, I didn't mean for it to be. I was asking whether or not questions on the new MCAT would be more catered towards pure anatomy, as opposed to physiology. For example would questions such as, "Body part X (latin name) will be dorsal to ____". I was concerned about knowing the nomenclature of specific bones/muscles as opposed to what is in that link.

I am actually very surprised that no one on SDN is talking about it yet. Kaplan states that ALL questions will be "written to test science concepts in the context of living systems".

Take a look:
C1vJsBFl.jpg

:rolleyes:

Several areas of anatomy are already listed on the AAMC content outlines for the current MCAT. It's testable.

For instance, a quick skim through the preview guide to psych/soc/bio section (https://www.aamc.org/students/download/374014/data/mcat2015-psbb.pdf) reveals the following that they want you to know...

AAMCAS said:
Sensory receptors
Sensory pathways
Types of sensory receptor

Structure and function of the eye
Visual processing
Visual pathways in the brain

Structure and function of the ear
Auditory processing (e.g., auditory pathways in the brain)
Sensory reception by hair cells

Somatosensation (e.g., pain perception)
Taste (e.g., taste buds/chemoreceptors that detect specific chemicals)
Smell
Olfactory cells/chemoreceptors that detect specific chemicals
Pheromones (BIO)
Olfactory pathways in the brain (BIO)

Brain areas that control language and speech (PSY, BIO)

The nervous system
Neurons (e.g., the reflex arc)
Neurotransmitters
Structure and function of the peripheral nervous system
Structure and function of the central nervous system

The brain
Forebrain
Midbrain
Hindbrain
Lateralization of cortical functions
Methods used in studying the brain
The spinal cord
Neuronal communication and its influence on behavior (PSY)
Influence of neurotransmitters on behavior (PSY)

The endocrine system
Components of the endocrine system
Effects of the endocrine system on behavior

Human physiological development (PSY)
Prenatal development
Motor development
Developmental changes in adolescence

By the time I write the 2015 Mcat (probably September of 2015), I will have taken: a sem. of psychology, full year of anatomy and physiology, full year of general chemistry, a semester of organic chemistry, and a semester of biochemistry. I'm a Kinesiology major, so all these prerequisite courses (except anatomy) are electives, so I won't be taking general (cell) biology in time for the mcat... Any thoughts on this? I had an EXTREMELY rigorous biology teacher in grade 11 and 12 for IB and after looking over the EK biology book, the gr 11 and 12 knowledge would more than suffice for that portion of the mcat... (of course I would need to review all of them again).

P.S. Which textbooks is everyone planning to buy for the 2015 MCAT? The only companies that have released/set a release date are Kaplan and Princeton review.. Knowing Kaplan's awful reputation for their review books, I'm going to get princeton review for myself.

Reactions: 1 users
The 2015 MCAT just looks awful. ALL questions on living systems described in convoluted passages?

Really hope I don't have to take this lol

EDIT: I mean, how would they test certain concepts? Static friction? The friction of pumping the blood through the left ventricle? That would be viscosity anyway. Harmonic oscillations of a spring/pendulum in a living system? Good luck.

Last edited: