MCAT 2015 without physics 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phixius12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm planning on taking my MCAT in April 2016, but I won't have time to take physics 2 yet. Does anyone know if I would be okay self teaching myself physics 2 since physics has been shortened on the new mcat? I really appreciate any advice I can get! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Physics 2 is electricity and magnetism. It is a very small portion of MCAT. You can learn the most elementary parts of electricity and magnetism in one day, and rack up adequate points on it while skipping the whole semester of work.
i
If you can spent that semester taking biochemistry, then that is a much bigger fish to catch. Let those physics 2 little minnow go.

Reactions: 1 users
It is possible, but really teach yourself everything. Electricity and magnetism are not the only things to learn from physics 2. You need to have a good handle on optics and atomic physics. Most people learn a lot of the atomic stuff from gen chem, but the rest is up to you. Think hard about how physics 1 went for you. If you didn't struggle with it then you are probably capable of teaching yourself. If it was really hard for you then seek help. You can probably find some physics or engineering majors at your university to help you if necessary and make use of the internet. While Kahn Academy is far from perfect, it will teach you enough to work the MCAT. Just don't fall into the trap of watching videos and thinking you understand without doing some practice problems.

Reactions: 1 user
I did it. You'll be fine if you feel reasonably comfortable with the concepts (and can memorize MAJOR equations) after going through prep materials.

You won't have regularly scheduled, inefficient coverage of the material over a span of time way longer than you really need?

Dude just turn back now.

Reactions: 1 user