Mcat 2015?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPodel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"By apparently removing physics and de-emphasizing organic chemistry, everyone will have greater choices in undergraduate course selection which is a positive development. Without having said it blatantly, the other consequence is that the amount of material that must be memorized for the new MCAT will be cut in half at least. Why? Because the current MCAT requires little biology knowledge to answer the molecular and cellular biology questions (most of the information is in the passage) but physics requires the memorization of equations, etc. This may be a shift to more reasoning, less memorization." Is it true that ochem will be de-emphasized? I will be taking the MCAT 2015 so was just wondering! Thanks, also let me know any other "content" information you might have!! THANKS

Information was pulled from http://mcat-premed-mcat-scores.blogspot.com/2011/04/mcat-changes-in-2015.html

Members don't see this ad.

Who told you they were removing physics? You should go to the AAMC website and read through their 2015 information guide to get an idea of what's going to happen.

They are not de-emphasizing physics and general chemsitry but rather re-emphasizing the subjects that have physiological applications. Organic chemistry is getting a similar treatment, but that's a little harder to decipher the ambiguity as to what exactly the physiological examples would be.

Who told you they were removing physics? You should go to the AAMC website and read through their 2015 information guide to get an idea of what's going to happen.

They are not de-emphasizing physics and general chemsitry but rather re-emphasizing the subjects that have physiological applications. Organic chemistry is getting a similar treatment, but that's a little harder to decipher the ambiguity as to what exactly the physiological examples would be.
That website had it, I guess it is false info. Thanks!

That website had it, I guess it is false info. Thanks!

I don't think it's false information as much as it's either outdated or was speculation before the official release of information. The people at MR5 made their changes official just a few months ago, and now that they've officially posted their proposed changes, that should be the only site you reference for information.

Members don't see this ad :)
So that amount/ emphasis of each subject that is currently on the MCAT will be in the same amount + social sciences for the new MCAT? I'm trying to say if the MCAT 2015 will be basically the same test that is out now with sociology/psychological section - the writing? Do you think that they will reduce the amount of material covered in one of the subjects at least to make up for a whole new section? Thanks

So that amount/ emphasis of each subject that is currently on the MCAT will be in the same amount + social sciences for the new MCAT? I'm trying to say if the MCAT 2015 will be basically the same test that is out now with sociology/psychological section - the writing? Do you think that they will reduce the amount of material covered in one of the subjects at least to make up for a whole new section? Thanks

Not exactly. From the sound of things, the topics can still be covered, but they will have biological applications. You really should read through their release.

The two science sections are (1) Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems and (2) Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems. This means that physics and general chemistry will be addressed using biology applications. Page 59 of their Released Document says what the science topics that are fair game are.

- BC = first semester of biochemistry
- BIO = two-semester sequence of introductory biology
- GC = two-semester sequence of general chemistry
- OC = two-semester sequence of organic chemistry
- PHY = two-semester sequence of introductory physics

It gives categories being tested and sample questions. It also states that the distribution will be about:

15% First semester of biochemistry
5% Introductory biology
30% General chemistry
25% Organic chemistry
25% Introductory physics

Perhaps they'll make some more changes between now and 2015, but the book they released is so thorough that it seems like any changes are going to be minor.

Looks like more gen chem, more organic, and harder bio. I don't see the new MCAT being any easier as the OP alludes to.

Looks like more gen chem, more organic, and harder bio. I don't see the new MCAT being any easier as the OP alludes to.
It should be made clear that I don't think the new MCAT will be any much easier. The paragraph that is up there in my initial post is not written by me, it is simply information that I wanted to check if it was accurate. I don't know how you get, ". I don't see the new MCAT being any easier as the OP alludes to." when I clearly don't mention anything about it being easier?! Anyways, thanks for not the .02$ but rather .01$. LOL

I agree. Even if the amount of physics that is covered is reduced, I think the passages will be a little more difficult to extract from. If you look at their sample questions, it is going to emphasize more memorization. I know they don't say this officially, but some of their questions are pure recall. It will be a work in progress the first few years they administer it.

Is biochem now going to be a pre-req for med school? If it is, this will be very annoying as I will have to take either genetics or cell biology as a pre-req to get into a bio-chem (w/ lab) class.

I agree. Even if the amount of physics that is covered is reduced, I think the passages will be a little more difficult to extract from. If you look at their sample questions, it is going to emphasize more memorization. I know they don't say this officially, but some of their questions are pure recall. It will be a work in progress the first few years they administer it.

am i the only one who thinks this is going to be a flat out failure for at least the first 5 years???

how are adcom committees going to be able to compare scores for the first round of applicants that use this MCAT score?

i dunno im just hoping i get the score i want so i don't have to mess with this new beast

am i the only one who thinks this is going to be a flat out failure for at least the first 5 years???

how are adcom committees going to be able to compare scores for the first round of applicants that use this MCAT score?

i dunno im just hoping i get the score i want so i don't have to mess with this new beast
True Dat, Ball so hard, Adcoms wanna fine me. LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I read on these forums somewhere that they are going to add the new sections in on the 2013 mcat but they are not going to be scored and will be an optional section. I believe for data collection. Don't know how true that is though...

I read on these forums somewhere that they are going to add the new sections in on the 2013 mcat but they are not going to be scored and will be an optional section. I believe for data collection. Don't know how true that is though...

lol if they're really doing that whoever is running this whole lets change the mcat needs to get fired

Yes, starting in 2013, they will remove the writing section and add a VOLUNTARY section that will be related to what is going to be on the MCAT 2015. A social science/physcology section will be on there to see how it works and it is voluntary, so that section won't hurt your score...

Yes, starting in 2013, they will remove the writing section and add a VOLUNTARY section that will be related to what is going to be on the MCAT 2015. A social science/physcology section will be on there to see how it works and it is voluntary, so that section won't hurt your score...
And they stated that test takers who do complete the voluntart section will be compensated.. Interesting enough, no one knows what "compensated" means in this context:)

Apart from the fact that the test has evolved since 1928 due to the growth of science I think the test is changing yet again in 2015 because it still doesn't have good validity. :confused:

In jan.2013 they removed the writing section and added a temporarily, voluntary un scored section. In 2015 they will be adding a social sciences (i heard psychology) section.

In jan.2013 they removed the writing section and added a temporarily, voluntary un scored section. In 2015 they will be adding a social sciences (i heard psychology) section.
Yes, you're right! Starting 2015, they will be adding the psychology and sociology section and replacing the writing section with a critical analysis section. Are you taking the MCAT in 2015 too?

I believe for the first few months you still have the option of taking the original MCAT - so, if, for example, it's not your first time taking it, you can stick to the test you took before.

Hey All, quick question:

I am scheduled to take the 2014 mcat on January 23 (One of the last possible dates to take the 2014 exam )
As I am prepping for the 2014 exam, I have a full set of BR books, TPR books, as well as the EK 1001 series. I am worried that I will have to take the exam for a second time, and will be forced to take the 2015 exam. I am wondering if anyone has any opinions about how relevant and useful my old prep materials will be for the 2015 exam? If I do have to take the 2015 exam, will I need to completely update my prep materials or can I simply add additional books for the new sections( bio chem, social sciences, etc)?

Thanks!
- See more at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...te-my-materials.1104114/#sthash.RevxOFDg.dpuf

Jpatel - can you reword the description of this thread as 2014-2015 MCAT please. I am actively looking for info on MCAT 2015 exclusively and this thread has more of 2014 information.

Hey All, quick question:

I am scheduled to take the 2014 mcat on January 23 (One of the last possible dates to take the 2014 exam )
As I am prepping for the 2014 exam, I have a full set of BR books, TPR books, as well as the EK 1001 series. I am worried that I will have to take the exam for a second time, and will be forced to take the 2015 exam. I am wondering if anyone has any opinions about how relevant and useful my old prep materials will be for the 2015 exam? If I do have to take the 2015 exam, will I need to completely update my prep materials or can I simply add additional books for the new sections( bio chem, social sciences, etc)?

Thanks!
- See more at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...te-my-materials.1104114/#sthash.RevxOFDg.dpuf

For the sciences, from what I understand, they're changing very little. Though I do know they have removed a couple of things from the physics section. AAMC has a lot of material on their website about this. There's also a lot of info (and practice problems) in the 5th edition of "The Official Guide to the MCAT". You will need additional resources to study for the social sciences section and the biochem section, though.

Jpatel - can you reword the description of this thread as 2014-2015 MCAT please. I am actively looking for info on MCAT 2015 exclusively and this thread has more of 2014 information.
Could you not bump up a 2 year old thread...

Is anyone using study materials for the old MCAT?? I'm signed up for June 19. But I don't know which old materials I should use, and which new ones are worth buying. Also, where can I find as many practice exams as I can??

Is anyone using study materials for the old MCAT?? I'm signed up for June 19. But I don't know which old materials I should use, and which new ones are worth buying. Also, where can I find as many practice exams as I can??

The only official practice exam is the AAMC exam. The test prep companies have their own exams, but you can't vouch for how accurate they are. You will need new material for the so-called social sciences section, as this wasn't on the previous MCAT. Though there is some overlap with the nervous system and related sections in the old MCAT.

I am currently registered for a Kaplan Mcat on site prep course that starts in May; however, I am hesitant about proceeding with this plan because I fear that this course would expose me mostly to kaplan practice exams granted that there is only one AAMC full length exam available in turn limit my practice. Thus, I am thinking about canceling my registration and using the refund to buy a variety of prep material and practice in an effort to broaden my exposure.
I would really appreciate any advice.

I took Kaplan and its a complete waste of time! The only benefit is the practice question and full lengths you get. Their verbal sucks 100%( personal opinion). I had a better time with EK methods. I am still stomped as to the best approach. My verbal doesnt seem to be improving! Help? I know, dont chose extremes, read carefully, map the passage (or not), Identify the type of question it is (function, detail,structure,etc) . I have tried all the basics and my score is not moving at all! SOmeone please help me?

FOUR2004, I would definitely say cancel your registration if its still possible, I signed up for Kaplan to start January and we didnt start until the END of january. Class was suppose to start the first! Secondly, they take so many day off(spring break, yaddi yada) Im not paying to take days off. $2000 is no Joke!