MCAT: 24; Retake in August?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

withsomeluck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I decided to go ahead and register for a retake on August 22nd, since I was averaging a 30-32 on my AAMC practice tests. I ended up getting a MCAT: PS 8-VR 7- BS 9 (24) on June 20th. I don't know why, but I let the first two passages of PS and VR get to me. I spent too much time on them and had to completely guess on the last two passages for both sections, in addition to not being able to go back to about 3-6 questions that I had marked.
So given the circumstances I believe I can at least get a minimum score of 27.

I am URM (Mexican-American) and I have good EC's:
-1.5 years as Admissions Clerk at local hospital
-6 months as pharm. tech at local hospital (will be working at costco soon)
-6 months as Billing clerk at a Neurosurgeons office
-2 years as a Marching Band consultant for my high school, as well as middle school
-The typical premed activities: volunteering medical/nonmedical, shadowing, premed club.
**I worked atleast 30hr/wk throughout college

My cGPA: 3.59, sGPA: 3.45. Do I have a shot at D.O. schools, given that I am going to retake in late august? In particular to the schools in california or nevada? I heard that the D.O. application cycle is longer than the MD cycle somehow, does anyone know about this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have an excellent chance. The DO cycle is much longer than the MD cycle so taking it in August is not as lethal as it is when applying to MD schools. In addition to this you are an URM with a solid GPA and a soon to be excellent MCAT score.

Good Luck!

That's good to hear! I hope all this hard work pays off!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I get a 27-29 on my retake, how many schools should I apply to given my gpa and urm? I was thinking a total of 10. Is that good enough?