MCAT 24, Science gpa 3.78, Non-science gpa, 3.98, Overall gpa 3.87

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPD007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I am new to this forum and was wondering what are the chances of me getting into a DO school with the following stats:

-MCAT 24 (much lower than any practice exam I had taken :( )
-Science GPA 3.78
-Non-Science GPA 3.98
-Overall GPA 3.87

I plan on retaking the MCAT but its pretty much too late for this year. I was planning on just applying to DO schools anyway since I really did not want to take another year off of school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

those are my numbers and I am applying to both MD and DO schools. I just don't have the energy to retake anytime soon and if I don't get in anywhere...which...I pray does not happen. Then it's next year for me...

making my school list for Allo right now.

keep your head up. I think you should also go ahead and apply to MD, your GPA is great.

also about your MCAT, do you think you can significantly improve? cuz the reason I am not retaking is because I feel like I will not improve to am impressive 30, chances are that I will just get a few numbers higher...:(

You should be all right for DO, since your GPA will compensate pretty well. Yeah, I don't think you have a shot at MD unless you retake the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
Yeah I know if I wanted to apply the MD route I would have to take the MCAT again. This was the first time I had taken the MCAT and I was shocked when I received my scores yesterday since on my practice exams I had on average scored a 32 and above (I took numerous practice exams). I don't know if I should retake it in Jan. and wait another year or if I should just apply to DO schools. Honestly I would be perfectly happy with a DO school. What DO schools should I apply to and focus more on?? As of right now I am applying everywhere! Thanks for your help!

I know some DO schools have a regional bias attached to them, but I don't know them offhand so search on this site for some more information. I honestly think you will be fine for most DO schools. The average MCAT is 27, which you are under, but your GPA is fine. Just be sure to apply broadly.

oki, so I am doing my secondaries for the MD schools...somehow I feel like I will not get any interviews. :'( but it doesn't hurt to try.

Also still working on making a list of DO schools. Prefer ones that don't require that I shadow a DO because i'm still working on that, if anyone has an input on that i'd be thrilled.

oki, so I am doing my secondaries for the MD schools...somehow I feel like I will not get any interviews. :'( but it doesn't hurt to try.

Also still working on making a list of DO schools. Prefer ones that don't require that I shadow a DO because i'm still working on that, if anyone has an input on that i'd be thrilled.

I got a 24 something on MCAT 3.5 GPA and now I'm a 4th yr med student at a midtier MD school. Don't discredit yourself. It is possible.

How could anybody have such high GPA and mess up the MCAT? unless your school's grade inflation is huge!

Hey Everyone,
I am new to this forum and was wondering what are the chances of me getting into a DO school with the following stats:

-MCAT 24 (much lower than any practice exam I had taken :( )
-Science GPA 3.78
-Non-Science GPA 3.98
-Overall GPA 3.87

I plan on retaking the MCAT but its pretty much too late for this year. I was planning on just applying to DO schools anyway since I really did not want to take another year off of school. Thanks!

Just like the other person said, DO NOT discredit yourself. I want to believe that medical schools are more interested in graduating great physicians (not great students). Take the time to do some research about medical schools. Buddy of mine got a 24 on his MCAT and was accepted to 3 DO schools and the only MD school he applied to. That being said, another guy with a 36 MCAT and a 3.9 GPA had interviews at every MD school he applied to...and he did not get in. So is the MCAT the end of the world? I hope not. But with a 24 MCAT, there better be something "special" about you that medical schools are drawn to. So - do research, give yourself some credit and hop on it strong.

How could anybody have such high GPA and mess up the MCAT? unless your school's grade inflation is huge!

That's not always the case. The MCAT is magnanimous test and I've seen great students have a bad day. It happens. Let's not take anything from him/her. He/she had a bad day and I'm certain that if there was a retake, he/she would do a lot better.

Thanks nnamdizzle81 Im not sure what happened that day all the practice exams I took I always scored well over a 30 each time. Oddly my highest score on the test was PS but normally on my practice test that was my lowest and verbal was normally my highest on the practice but was my lowest on the actual exam. As for my GPA being inflated that is not true at all...I always took at least 16 credits of hardcore science classes on top of research and had a part time job (25-30 hours)...so to say my GPA is inflated just because my MCAT score is low is just stupid...I had a bad test day.....