MCAT: 27O Looking for DO school suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NiNfus21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from NYU with a biochemistry major and a math minor. I am a reapplicant (had to withdraw my primary app after receiving a 22M). This cycle I submitted my primary app at the end of July and got back my mcat score today (August 9, 2011)

cGPA: 3.733
sGPA>3.733
MCAT: 11 PS, 6VR, 10BS (27O)
I am not willing to take the mcat again and want to finish applying this cycle.
*I have above average Voluntary/clinical experience..some leadership experience and good shadowing experiences
*Great LORs
*1 year research at NYUSOM

I would love to get into an MD program. but that seems tough. my verbal score is a killer. Which DO programs should I apply to? I am a NY resident. here are some of the schools I am looking at

NYCOM, LECOM-PA, Tourocom-NY, UMDNJ, MSUCom, PCOM

Members don't see this ad.

forgot to mention: I will be submitting my AACOMAS app in the next few days.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I would love to get into an MD program. but that seems tough." DO adcoms will see/smell/feel/hear this from a mile away. Having grades and an MCAT score within the typical acceptance range at most DO schools does not change the fact you are competing with students with higher scores, more experience, and a well-articulated dedication to the profession of osteopathic medicine. You didn't mention specifically if your clinical experience/shadowing was with a DO or if you have your LOR from one, but it will be difficult to gain acceptance without. Make sure you can honestly convince yourself, and the adcom, a DO school is where you want to be.

KCOM, DMU, and KCUMB...your stats are very good but the one thing that may be a problem is your verbal score of 6. What was your verbal score previously? Are you also going to try applying to your state medical schools; it doesn't hurt to try at least.

bainrd,
Yea, I understand. Only one of my letters comes from a MD physician whom I shadowed. All the others are either from professors or supervisors. The letters are combined into a committee letter packet which will be sent to schools. All of my other experiences are not DO or MD specific, so I don't think that should hinder my chances (hopefully)

But I will be careful about not giving the adcoms the vibe that DO is my second option. Thanks for the Advice. I will make sure of that in the personal statement.
I am actually going to shadow my primary physician, who is a DO, next week and get a LOR to submit with the secondary. Will that improve my chances?

Luvofgod,
My verbal was a 5 last time :( i am also applying to some in/oos MD prgms to test my chances

Ah, well at least you showed some improvement.
Good, you should apply broadly and see what happens. DO schools are awesome too so don't think of them as something less than allopathic schools. Good luck! :)

Try and shadow a D.O and get a LOR from him/her, this is important and worth it.

"I would love to get into an MD program. but that seems tough." DO adcoms will see/smell/feel/hear this from a mile away. Having grades and an MCAT score within the typical acceptance range at most DO schools does not change the fact you are competing with students with higher scores, more experience, and a well-articulated dedication to the profession of osteopathic medicine. You didn't mention specifically if your clinical experience/shadowing was with a DO or if you have your LOR from one, but it will be difficult to gain acceptance without. Make sure you can honestly convince yourself, and the adcom, a DO school is where you want to be.

Since DO matriculants have much lower average GPA's and MCAT scores than MD matriculants, one of 2 things must be true.

-DO is usually a students second choice
<OR>
-Students who prefer DO generally are less proficient academically than those who prefer MD.

I doubt that a preference for DO is strongly connected to being a weak student, so it seems highly likely that most students who apply to DO schools do so as a backup plan, not their highest goal.

All OP has to do is pretend he thinks DO is the bee's knees. He does not actually need to have "dedication to the profession of osteopathic medicine".

Since DO matriculants have much lower average GPA's and MCAT scores than MD matriculants, one of 2 things must be true.

-DO is usually a students second choice
<OR>
-Students who prefer DO generally are less proficient academically than those who prefer MD.

I doubt that a preference for DO is strongly connected to being a weak student, so it seems highly likely that most students who apply to DO schools do so as a backup plan, not their highest goal.

All OP has to do is pretend he thinks DO is the bee's knees. He does not actually need to have "dedication to the profession of osteopathic medicine".

Definitely take this advice. It won't be a waste of time, money or energy.