MCAT 30 GPA 3.8 (science)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someguy45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As in the title, I have a 30 MCAT and a 3.8 science GPA.

I worked for a year and a half as a programmer at some recognizable companies and then left to go back to school for science prerequisites.

Here's where I think I may be in trouble: I have only 4 months of clinical research which is really nothing more than handing out surveys totalling about 100 hours. Are the admissions people going to look at this and think it is not enough?

I don't have any volunteering/shadowing/leadership.

I'm really concerned about the quality of my research and about my lack of volunteering and shadowing. Since I haven't applied yet, what should I be focusing on?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Stats-wise, you'd have a 60-70ish% chance of getting an MD acceptance. But EC-wise, you're not nearly ready to apply.

A typical applicant has 1.5 years/with 150 hours of clinical experience and about 50 hours of shadowing. Nonmedical community service has become increasingly desirable. Only 60% list research; it's not essential. Having even 4 months shows you tried it, though I'd agree the quality of the experience wasn't remarkable. Perhaps its value would lie more in the fact that you interacted with sick people, so it counts as clinical experience. Leadership and/or teaching also strengthen an application. You don't need to have all these components, but for any one you don't have, it's a good idea to be much stronger in another area.

Thank you for your response Catalystik. It's greatly appreciated.

I have a few more questions if you or anyone else can help.

1. If I worked 30/hours per week for 12 weeks in the medical records department of a hospital, does this count as 360 hours of clinical experience?

2. My research is in a clinical setting and on a volunteer basis. Does this count as research, clinical experience, and volunteering?

1. If I worked 30/hours per week for 12 weeks in the medical records department of a hospital, does this count as 360 hours of clinical experience?

2. My research is in a clinical setting and on a volunteer basis. Does this count as research, clinical experience, and volunteering?
1. Clinical experience means you personally interacted with sick people. I doubt you did much of this in the med records department. The experience was still valuable, but in a different way.

2. Research is always listed under Research. That it was clinical experience you can make clear in your description of the activity or in the way you name the Experience. It will not be viewed as community service/volunteerism, as the benefit primarily accrued to you and to the PI who directed your efforts.