Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MCAT 44 and GPA 4.0

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by herbalist, May 13, 2007.

1. herbalist

Hi Guys....I am not being funny here, but i was screening through last year MD applicants at Harvard, and i suddenly came across with this Duo who has 44 MCAT and 4.o

I must admit dat having 4.0 is not impossible but with 44 MCAT...waaw he is indeed a genius..that is the reality

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. quiksilver87

The thing is that he got a 14 on the easiest section! BIOLOGY

4. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    I don't have an mdapplicants account, but I have visited before. Don't you, the user, just enter your stats, acceptances, etc.? I could go on there right now and say I have a 4.0/44 and got into Harvard; doesn't mean it's true.

5. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast

Pre-Medical
    what would be the point of doing something like that? s/he has nothing to gain out of skewing the data. In any case, it's totally possible that there's someone out there like that. There's a lot of freakishly smart people walking around.

6. herbalist

I totally agreed dat assesment...i know one of my High classmate who has dat natural gifts...there are people out there who are just intellual gifted and determined to exercise it...i just want to know the secreat to that smartness.

7. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    It would be stupid and pointless, indeed, but that doesn't mean it's real stats. People have nothing to gain by posting false information on Wikipedia, but that doesn't mean it's not still rife with it.

8. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast

Pre-Medical
    true enough. but I think it's safe to assume that every cycle there's probably a few people with comparable stats. It's not common, but it exists, regardless of whether or not it's reported on mdapplicants.

9. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    Yeah, laws of probability say that eventually someone who blindly guesses on every question will get a perfect score. I really hope I'm that guy.

10. herbalist

But the fundamental question is why in the world my brain can't function like that. However, the brain-based learning strategy might be a different question. I dont know about the GPA bcus i am part of the same statistic.

But why someone will score 44 out of 45 in a test which is highly considered as the father of all standerdized tests. According to the statistic he is from Columbia University. I must say that i know a guy with 38 but not giant 44

11. vicinihil

vicinihil Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    That is sick...haha, but go that man/woman where ever he/she is. I would that person is doing md/phd and not just md because that's a waste of talent!

12. herbalist

yeah u right.....i am just trying to formulate a formula for that smartness.

13. supernareg

supernareg Guest

Pre-Medical
    what if BY CHANCE he guessed most answers and got them correct. that IS a possibility....

14. MWK

MWK Over-represented majority

Medical Student
    There was 1 person last year who got a 280 on step 1...point being, it can happen.

So the 44 guy is the top 1.1% times 1.1% times 2.7%---so out of 10000 applicants, there should be one.

15. .surgical.

.surgical. Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I, too, have an uncle....

I'd like to buy you're volcano insurance

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    That's what I said above. Eventually, it will happen. May have already happened. Try it on a practice test and see what your percentage is; I'd be very interested in your results.

18. blkkd

blkkd Electrically relaxing

Medical Student
    It was me...haha i'm kidding but its certainly not out of the question ,I can think of 3 people I know off the top my head with 4.0s and above 40 on the MCAT. No 44s, highest i know is 42 but its quite likely. Its not that difficult of an exam.

19. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    Well, I tried my hand at the "just write down any random letter A through D," on a practice exam, just to see where the score would place (sub 10, 10-20, >20, etc). Results were poor, like I expected; an 18 (totally random, not even looking at the questions).

So although probability says eventually someone will get a perfect score with random guessing, don't try it; chances are you'll end up < 20 :laugh:

20. aclementine

aclementine Member

Pre-Dental
    what's the point of this thread?

herbalist... thanks for the info, end of thread, next topic

21. DRPL

Pre-Medical
    Okay, I know that this topic is done with and discarded.....but I just wanted to add that I know someone who has gotten a 43 MCAT.... He had ADHD and got to take the test untimed, over 2 days. That is one unobvious way that you can get such a high score...

22. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    Sucks for him that his 43 will not look so hot when they see that it was taken under special conditions.

Still, I admire his endurance.