MCAT 45 Passage difficulty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

patekpremed

I have been doing the Kaplan MCAT 45 passages and find them to be quite harder than the actual AAMC tests. Anyone else think so?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been considering picking this up, good to know that it actually is very challenging and the hardest stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeap! The OP is totally right on this one. If it helps you build confidence by working through it even after being nailed then its worth it! I would strongly recommend not to use it if you're taking MCAT within a week or so cuz for many, it'll be nothing more than confidence breaker.

After hearing all the fuzz about Kap's MCAT 45, I had to check it out... Having taken kaplan course and almost all of their Fls, I realized that its total bs. THe book was put together by taking the hardest PS/BS/VS passages from each exam. Don't get me wrong but unless you are on the level of Einstein, you'll get at max about 5/7 right if done under timed conditions cuz they involve some super heavy calculations and require you to make some totally off connections to link the material in passage. Although my scores were high double digits on BS/PS sections from which the passages were taken, I got only about 60% right on the hard ones used in MCAT 45. However, its still good for practice but I wouldn't recommend buying it if you have other resources to work with to break that realistic 38/40.

Last edited:
its still good for practice but I wouldn't recommend buying it if you have other resources to work with to break that realistic 38/40.

Could you explain what you mean here? Are you saying breaking through 38 out of 40 questions right on the ... verbal section? Or through the 38/40 overall score range? I just got a 39 on my second practice test (Kaplan FL 2: 14 P 12 V 13 B), so I would appreciate some clarification on what level you're talking about breaking through here and whether you think the MCAT 45 book will be more worthwhile than finishing out the rest of the standard Kaplan material (section tests, discrete sets, full-lengths etc.).