DO MCAT 496 3.66/3.58

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waillin

Medical Student (Accepted)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
496 MCAT (23 old scale)
cGPA= 3.66 sGPA=3.58
DO letter, 60+ shadowing hours, 500+ clinical experience, 500+ nonclinical volunteering, minimal research
From the Midwest (not from ky or wv)
Applying to VCOM-VC, LUCOM, BCOM, WVSOM, and KYCOM
I am retaking the MCAT to apply again next cycle since it is obviously subpar but I thought I would apply anyways. I used User3 info to determine the schools since these had avg MCAT around 25 though I fit the mission statement (rural primary care) as well.
Thoughts/Chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Low with the 496. That's ~40%ile. I'd do a retake and hold off an application cycle if I had to to ensure I was in the best possible spot and to avoid being a re applicant.

The 23 is really on the low side of things. MAYBE you can find a newer DO school to bite(emphasis on maybe and it would take a broad realistic list to have a shot) but you definitely should be prepping for a re-take at some point in the event you don't get in this cycle. Your GPA is more than fine, your EC's are probably fine, there is nothing else you need to do but focus on getting a better MCAT score. Anything 503+ and you should be in solid shape if you do end up applying again next cycle.