MD MCAT 511 3.55 cGPA URM Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoDucks1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got my MCAT scores back today so I need to start building my application and I need some advice on schools within my range.

MCAT: 511 (128/126/131/126)
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.5ish
State of Residency: Oregon
URM: Mexican

Degrees: Honors Degree is science from state school, masters in education from top 5 ed school (3.8 gpa) + 3 years teaching @ an inner city school (through Teach for America). Department head at my school for 2 years.

Super solid letters of rec from professors I worked for/TA'd for, and 2 strong from doctors I've worked closely with.

I was thrown off by the Lizzy M system, so I'm curious what schools are most within my range/schools I should add + should I bother applying DO or do you think I'll get in with my background and stats?

Current school list:
OHSU
GWU SOM
Georgetown SOM
California Northstate
Chicago Medical School at RFU
Tulane
Albany Medical College
Wake Forest SOM
Loyola U Chicago @ Stritch SOM
University of Washington SOM
UC Davis SOM
Rush
Drexel

Main questions, should I also apply DO, or do you think I'm relatively safe going MD?

What schools should I add/subtract?

Thanks,

Go Ducks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Just got my MCAT scores back today so I need to start building my application and I need some advice on schools within my range.

Degrees: Honors Degree is science from state school, masters in education from top 5 ed school (3.8 gpa) + 3 years teaching @ an inner city school (through Teach for America). Department head at my school for 2 years.

Super solid letters of rec from professors I worked for/TA'd for, and 2 strong from doctors I've worked closely with.

I was thrown off by the Lizzy M system, so I'm curious what schools are most within my range/schools I should add + should I bother applying DO or do you think I'll get in with my background and stats?

You're good for pretty much any MD school. No need for DO unless you have to stay in OR and you punch the Dean at ORHS.

Current school list:
OHSU
GWU SOM
Georgetown SOM
California Northstate
Tulane
Albany Medical College
Wake Forest SOM
UC Davis SOM
Rush
Drexel

Main questions, should I also apply DO, or do you think I'm relatively safe going MD?

Thanks,

Go Ducks

Reactions: 1 user
U Washington accepts very few non residents who are not from states they are contracted with and UC Davis accept very few non residents (only 1 two years ago). Are you fluent in Spanish? You have a good list otherwise and you could add schools such as:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton
Miami

Members don't see this ad :)
U Washington accepts very few non residents who are not from states they are contracted with and UC Davis accept very few non residents (only 1 two years ago). Are you fluent in Spanish? You have a good list otherwise and you could add schools such as:

Thank you for the suggestion, I wouldn't necessarily claim absolute fluency, but I can definitely get by in most situations. I work with latino students and families every day at my school with no issue. Do you think I should also apply DO?

Thank you.

If you add the schools I suggested and apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July then you do not need to apply to DO schools.

If you add the schools I suggested and apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July then you do not need to apply to DO schools.
He is good for all but the top-tier schools; he might throw a few apps their way but the bulk of his application should be mid and low tier schools.

Hey man,
Fellow URM here. I have similar stats but do not have a Master and a lower MCAT and have been able to receive about 8 II's so far, with 2 of them being top 20's.

I would apply to every school in the cities you realistically see yourself being happy. Really take the time to write your personal statement and secondaries and you'll be more than fine. Aim high.

Hey man,
Fellow URM here. I have similar stats but do not have a Master and a lower MCAT and have been able to receive about 8 II's so far, with 2 of them being top 20's.

I would apply to every school in the cities you realistically see yourself being happy. Really take the time to write your personal statement and secondaries and you'll be more than fine. Aim high.

Hey can you give a few more details? Looking at MSAR for mid to high tiers I'm seeing the 10% percentile gpa >3.65 so I'm assuming I shouldn't need to even bother putting in an application there.. Am I wrong to assume that?

Hey can you give a few more details? Looking at MSAR for mid to high tiers I'm seeing the 10% percentile gpa >3.65 so I'm assuming I shouldn't need to even bother putting in an application there.. Am I wrong to assume that?

People who are at or below the 10th percentile have some hook such as urm, vet starus or etc so it’s okay to apply to some of them. But just make sure it’s not your entire list! :)

Hey all,

Current school list:
OHSU
GWU SOM
Georgetown SOM
California Northstate
Tulane
Albany Medical College
Wake Forest SOM
UC Davis SOM
Rush
Drexel

Thanks,

Go Ducks
Northstate has denied its students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms.
You are a good candidate for most private schools
UCD rarely considers OOS applicants.
U of WA does consider OOS UiM students.

If you're going to apply to drexel, apply to jefferson and temple as well. I'd also recommend NYMC, Tufts and UMiami.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey man,

You are a boss and can be apart of that 10th percentile that gets accepted(At some schools thats around 20 people!). Don't bother with Northstate,RFU, and Albany unless those are locations you want to be. I would add:
USC
Temple
Tufts
Drew/UCLA
UMiami
NYU
Yale
Northwestern

Aim high and really pre-write those secondaries. They matter so much.