MD MCAT 516, cGPA 3.68, sGPA 3.72

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jiraiya2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just decided to try and apply this year, however I will be taking my MCAT in August and hopefully will receive the score by September. Mcat score listed above is practice score. This means that I will be submitting my MCAT late, and I am not really sure if this is going to be a disadvantage.

A little bit about myself: 23 yr old Asian from Oregon, double major in Biochemistry and Biology.

cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.72
MCAT: 516 (Practice)

EC:
2 years of computer tutoring at a cc.
2 years of clinical volunteering at a local hospital (~200 hrs)
6 months of clinical volunteering at the same hospital's ICU (different department, ~100 hrs)
2 months of volunteering at the same hospital's specialty pharmacy (~50 hrs)
1 year of clinical volunteering at OHSU's mICU (~250 hrs)
1 year of research at PSU's chemistry lab (no publication/poster, this should amount around 250 hrs )
Ongoing volunteering at The Oregon POLST Registry (should have around 80-100 hrs by time of applying)
Ongoing research assistant/clinical volunteering with a Speech Pathologist PhD at OHSU (should have around 150 hours by time of applying).

As of now, I do not have any shadowing hours and I am hoping to get some in the next month or so. I have read some threads and was given the impression that as long as I get some shadowing hours down to confirm your interest in becoming a doctor then I should be fine.

LORs: 1 from upper level Chemistry course, 1 from Gen chem, 1 from Ochem, 1 from the PI speech pathologist and 2 from two elective courses.

My school list:
OSHU
Eastern Virginia
Ohio State University
University of California
University of Maryland Baltimore
Albany
Boston University
Emory
Georgetown
Stanford
Columbia
University of Miami

OHSU is my ideal choice as it will cut the cost of attending down significantly for me (being in-state and will live with parents).

Members don't see this ad.

Bump! Is my post really messed up that no one can offer me any advice ? :(

It is difficult to suggest schools without an actual MCAT score. However, I would say that Stanford and Columbia are reaches so you can remove those. Also, Maryland, OSHU and Ohio State strongly prefer their own state residents. I recommend applying broadly and consider schools such as:
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
GW
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I am an Oregonian so OHSU is one of my top choices. I probably won't make it to shadowing anyone before submitting my application since I am focusing on studying for the MCAT (I did however participate in rounds for many hours in ICU and some more hours observing cardiologists and physical therapists running Vomax test on patients). Do you think my current EC is enough to secure an acceptance with mid-tier MD programs assuming my MCAT score will be around that of the practice one ?

Thanks, I am an Oregonian so OHSU is one of my top choices. I probably won't make it to shadowing anyone before submitting my application since I am focusing on studying for the MCAT (I did however participate in rounds for many hours in ICU and some more hours observing cardiologists and physical therapists running Vomax test on patients). Do you think my current EC is enough to secure an acceptance with mid-tier MD programs assuming my MCAT score will be around that of the practice one ?
I think your current clinical volunteering is enough for low and mid tier schools.