MCAT 517, first BS 3.2 cGPA, second BS 3.7 cGPA. Help building school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7bridges

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe I’m a good candidate for DO schools but I’m wondering if I should dare to dream with MD schools. Would appreciate any help! I’m 28 ORM

MCAT: 517 (128/130/131/128)

GPA: 3.2 sGPA and cGPA for BS in biochemistry from an honor's state college (St. Mary's College of Maryland) with lots of credits from community college, upward trend after serious wreckage from a dark and stormy past ending in 2012, but B's even towards the end. C's in orgo, physics. Currently working on a BSN at University of Maryland, 3.7 GPA.

Paid clinical experience: 3000 hours of work as a certified medical assistant plus work on clinical trials

Shadowing: Lots of hours cardiology/internal medicine, 6 hours family medicine, 4 hours cardiac cath lab, 20 hours ophthalmology, 12 hours emergency department (osteopathic), other clinical exposure in nursing school in a variety of settings, including ICU, psych, etc.

Clinical volunteering: 9 months volunteering at a rural free clinic (drawing blood, taking vital signs)

Non-clinical volunteering/community service: 2 years+ volunteering at a local jail. Advocacy work and packing Narcan kits with a couple of harm reduction organizations over the past 5 years. A few one-offs like volunteering at marathons and holding drives for a shelter at work.

Extracurriculars at school: women in STEM club, biochemistry club, student advisory board member, student mentor

Research: 1 poster, first author (HIV/incarcerated populations). 1 abstract/presentation, fourth author (cancer). Working on another poster this year.

Letters: Letter from MD. Letter from DO. Committee letter from St. Mary's. Other available letter(s): UMD nursing clinical instructor, past bosses.

Miscellaneous: I'm a Maryland resident but have strong ties to Virginia, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at some MD schools and I suggest these:
U Maryland
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Also apply broadly to DO schools and I recommend these:
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
PCOM
UIWSOM
UNECOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
If you are applying this year you need to apply in the next week and submit all your secondaries by the end of August.