MCAT 8-V, 8-P, 7-B, "P" SHOULD I APPLY???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCWIHEA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I got a 8-V, 8-P, 7-B, "P" (23)
I have a 3.4 GPA and a 3.1 Science GPA

Should I apply?? I am only going DO, and hope to get into UHS. I'm a non-trad and currently a software engineer of 5 yrs. Some volunteer work, community service and shadowing, but not a ton.

I did the Princeton Review course and studied hard for months, but could maybe do a bit better on Verbal and Bio. Any help or idea will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i definately think you should apply. D.O. schools look at a lot more then just numbers. If you want to, you could take the MCAT again in august ( like i will be doing ) and hope to increase your score a little and then indicate that you will be taking the aug. mcat in your ap. If not, i would still apply. You have a decent shot at getting interviews. :)

APPLY. I had the same scores when I was applying and hated the test so much that I refused to take it over. I think I was afraid of doing worse than better... Anyhow, I am now starting my Surgery residency in one week and have finally made it through medical school... In other words, it is still possible. Oh, by the way, I kicked the boards with vengence so don't think that the MCAT is always a reliable predictor of how well a person will do on the boards.... Keep your head up and move forward!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
MCWIHEA, I can't believe this!!!! Check this out. I am new to this thread but have been reading SDN for over 2 years now. 2 years ago I came to Chiropractic school. I had a BS in Kinesiology from a good state school, but my GPA was poor 2.8. I had been spread thin because I was Army Nat. Guard, and I started a very lucrative business during undergrad as well as joined a fraternity. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and when I put all my skills together I ended up thinking Chiropractic was the answer. Two weeks into a post bacc science program at my chiropractic school I knew I was in the WRONG PLACE! DO school made perfect sense. For 2 years I took all my pre-meds, volunteered at the Hospital, started reading this forum, raised my GPA considerably to a 3.5 Science, and took several graduate level courses included a 9 credit Biochemistry. My last GPA at this school was a 4.0. I started waiting tables and cashed in my retirement account (inspite of a terrible markent &lt;invested 4000, took out 1400&gt;) to pay for a Kaplan MCAT Class. I studied 6-8 hours a day for 3 months and waited tables at some trash resturant. (Total slap in the face from being a business owner) I became completely humble and set my eyes on my goal in spite of all my "gun-hoe" chiropractic roomates and friends. (Don't get me wrong, I respect them dearly, It's just not for me) My first MCAT diagnostic was a 15. Before the course was over I was getting 26-28's consistantly. I felt this April's MCAT was a total breeze. Everything went perfectly and I felt as if I could expect 30+. 6 weeks later I peeked through my fingers at my scores online. I literally thought I was going to vomit in my lap. (V8 P8 B7 W-M) I've never felt so defeated in my life. Beside the fact that Bio was my best subject always good for at least a 9. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? THEY MUST HAVE GRADED IT WRONG I THOUGHT. :mad: Now under this sobering reality, I am totally in your shoes friend, as I just don't know how much I have left in me for that STUPID test. Less than 2 months away, I don't know what to do. I want this worse than anything, so I'm even considering Caribean. I landed this great job at Pharmacia doing biomedical research. (Bottom line: I play with rats :) ) Little comic relief there. :) Everything was going as planned until my scores came back. Well, let me know what you find out, and I'll watch this thread. I'm applying to almost all of the DO schools with these stats, and I am decided whether or not to retest this week. Let me know what you do. <a href="mailto:[email protected]" target="_blank">[email protected]</a>

Please excuse the typo's and bad grammer in my last post. This cowboy is worn out and frustrated with this whole process.

jbear- If I were in your shoes, I'd apply now with the scores you got and also plan to take the August MCAT. I really feel for you cause I found myself in a similar situation last year. However the good news is that I think you may have a decent shot at getting into some DO schools with your current score since it appears that your GPA is quite strong. So persist, stay strong, and keep your head up high!

i would apply to uhs it will not hurt, but plan to take the dreaded mcat in august also. I was a traditional student with decent EC's, good healthcare experience (3 yrs. EMT/ER tech. and 1 yr. er tech at a level one trauma center), and evidently awesome letters of rec. my mcat score was about the same and i was accepted to the class of 2006. take advantage of the opportunity instead of possibly lowering your score (it could happen). best of luck.

MCWIHEA,

I took the August 2001 MCAT, made 7-BS,7-PS, 9V,and P. I was put on the waiting list at OSU-COM and was accepted at UHS. My overall gpa was 3.4 and science was 3.1. I have been working several years as a pharmacy tech and had a few other clinical experiences.

MCWIHEA ,
You better APPLY B4 I come spank the living daylight out of you (okay just a joke). But seriously, even if one makes a 20 on the MCAT, I personally think they should apply. Because you never know until you apply.

GOOD LUCK

yes definately apply, a friend of a friend got accepted with a 19 to Ohio. I found this out recently, too late for me i guess. But it has given me hope as well as my score is a 19 as well.

Hey I just want to say thank you to all you guys/gals who replied back to me and MCWIHEA. It's really nice to know that I'm (we're) not alone out there. Hey natureboy503, I was wondering what school uhs is? (University of Health Sciences???) Maybe you could shed some light on it? :confused:

jbear,
when i referred to UHS in my earlier post, i was referring to The University of Health Sciences-COM in Kansas City.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I can always find an encouraging word out here. I will definately apply and consider taking the Aug. MCAT just to see if I can get my scores up a little. I don't even want to think about studying right now though..yuck! Having a full time job makes it even more difficult to get study time in by Aug. I was always good for better scores on Bio as well...don't know where that 7 came from! I'll keep you posted :)

natureboy503, thanks a ton. I'm checking the box right now. My app should be sent out in the next 3 days! Good luck all, I'll catch you on the other threads, jbear

MCWIHEA -

i got the exact same score as you and i talked to my pre-med advisor today who told me to definitely still apply to the DO schools. even though i realize that MD school is not an option, i am still retaking the MCAT in august just to try to increase my chances because i really want to go to PCOM or NOVA. even though my gpa and all that stuff is really good, i don't want to mess up my chances by NOT taking any chances. i guess you already decided to still apply, but i just wanted to let you know that there are other people in your shoes.

good luck with everything :)

MCWIHEA.... Apply, but I must warn you.. even if you get accepted, You will most likely struggle through med school. Sure there are occassional students with low scores who still do well in med school, but in my limited experience, (I just graduated from WESTERNU/COMP) students with lower science scores struggled through the first 2 years. Almost all of the students in my class who got kicked out of my class had low MCAT SCORES. (I got a 10-B, 10-P, 9-V) We all think that if we only tried harder that we will do better. But the students with 12 and 11 in my class were smarter than me from the begining and constantly did well in class. It is the student at the other end of the spectrum that stresses out in med school.(Constantly faced with the notion of failing out of med school) It is SAD and I feel for my fallen classmates.

Hope i didn't BUM you out..... ohh hell... I'm
never politically correct anyways.

Khanh Pham, D.O.
Traditional Intern- Frankford Hospitals, Philadelphia, PA(2002-2003)

Resident, Anesthesiology, Tufts-New England Medical Center, Boston, MA (2003-2006)