Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MCAT advice needed from those who took it

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by moto_za, Apr 29, 2007.

1. moto_za

moto_za Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Hi,
    For people who have some time, I was wondering how you scored on the practice exams and how it compard to the actual? I am kinda depressed b/c I am taking the mcat in a month and am not scoring above a 25.. I took the tpr course and been studying with ek stuff. I talked to my state school which I want to get into and they said that they would take the latest mcat score and dont care about the first one if you improve ( this will be the 1st time I take the mcat) and a good friend of mine told me to just take it since I have been studying and took the tpr course and see what happens. His reasoning was that even if I do bad I will have gone through the experience and if I take it again the state school I want to get into will like that since it shows my improvement/dedication and I will know what to expect the 2nd time. Sorry for the ling post, but with all this being said and a month left to study hard, should I take it or not? Any advice and help will be appreciated as I pretty depressed about my scores....thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MeCord3

MeCord3 2+ Year Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Which practice tests are you using to gauge your performance? The AAMC exams seem to be a fairly accurate predictor, opinions tend to vary on the value of other practice exams. In terms of taking the exam, be VERY careful about walking into a test you are not prepared for. Who at the school told you that only your most recent scores would be considered? A member of the adcom? A secretary in the admissions office? A student? Make sure that your source is in the loop about their evaluation practices.
    Moreover, consideration of your most recent scores isn't a guarantee of admission. With that said, most schools consider all MCAT scores. So even if you improve on a later exam, you may not have the benefit of your highest score if any other school to which you apply averages test scores or considers all scores in some way.
    Some people may suggest sitting for the exam and voiding at the end, but that would still eat up one of your 3 test administrations for the year (though I'm sure we're all hoping you won't need but one of them).

4. MeCord3

MeCord3 2+ Year Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Which practice tests are you using to gauge your performance? The AAMC exams seem to be a fairly accurate predictor, opinions tend to vary on the value of other practice exams. In terms of taking the exam, be VERY careful about walking into a test you are not prepared for. Who at the school told you that only your most recent scores would be considered? A member of the adcom? A secretary in the admissions office? A student? Make sure that your source is in the loop about their evaluation practices.
    Moreover, consideration of your most recent scores isn't a guarantee of admission. With that said, most schools consider all MCAT scores. So even if you improve on a later exam, you may not have the benefit of your highest score if any other school to which you apply averages test scores or considers all scores in some way.
    Some people may suggest sitting for the exam and voiding at the end, but that would still eat up one of your 3 test administrations for the year (though I'm sure we're all hoping you won't need but one of them).

5. moto_za

Jan 16, 2006
    ive been taking the aamc ones. I have asked the sec. of the med school and a few other med student friends of mine. I will try emailing an adcom to see what they say..

6. moto_za

Jan 16, 2006
    anyone else please?

7. MDAdam

MDAdam 10+ Year Member

Sep 21, 2006
    What score are you gunning for?

8. moto_za

Jan 16, 2006
    I will be more than happy with a 30.

9. .surgical.

.surgical. Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 16, 2006
    out
    I have heard from a lot of people worried with 25, 26, 27 at a month out.

One month is ample time to move that score up. I have been telling everyone I know to hit hte AAMC tests hard during that final month. Don't just take the exam, STUDY the exam after you take it. For every hour you spend taking a section, spend two hours making sure you know every concept tested. Take AAMC exams 5-10 during the final month, makng sure that each time you sit down and go through the ENTIRE exam in one sitting, don't split it up. Training yourself for the mental endurance required on test day is of the utmost importance.

Beyond that, make sure you are finishing with time left to spare. I used to finish all the practice exams with plenty of time left, but on the real-deal everything takes longer. You are nervous, you are much pickier about making sure even the easy questions are answered correctly and thoroughly. Make sure your pacing is set in stone, and is very fast (ESPECIALLY on verbal, which experience has shown for the April testers that passages are increasing drastically in length compared to the AAMC practice tests).

If you want to go up 5 points in a month, you're gonna have to work hard. Study the concepts that you continue to miss on exams, practice verbal like theres no tomorrow. Get out that TPR verbal book and do at least 5 passages a day...establish your verbal strategy and stick to it.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.... it has been done before, don't put off the test til August or you will regret it.