1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MCAT advice please

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by jmart, May 3, 2007.

1. jmart

jmart Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ok, so I was supposed to take the mcat last summer my scores went from 16, to like 24 at my highest. I honestly barely studied outside of class. I have signed up to take it at the end of this month and like last time I havne't really studied outside of class. Each time I was taking one class and the one class was more than I thought and I'm having a hard time focusing and sitting down and studying, I just don't wnat to do it. My cum is like 3.25, I have great dedication and volunteering experience, so my app will be strong in those catergories. ANyways, I know when you are a weaker candidate you NEED to apply early. So I don't even think I will be able to take the mcat near here until at leastjuly. THen that's a month to get scores back and imo, august is too late. SHould I just wait a year or what?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think because you already have a kinda low gpa, the last thing you need is a low mcat score on top of it. barely studying is never a smart move, and if you want to do good, u have to bust ur a$$ until the test day. i personally think ud be better off taking it in july instead of may because it seems like if you take it in may ur just going to maintain around the same score. if you're really set on taking it in may, do 3 diagnostics, highlight your weaknesses, and study up on them.

4. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Should we believe your actions, or your words? Hmmm...

With a 3.25, you need to score 32+ to catch the attention of allopathic adcoms.

5. jmart

jmart Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Interesting you say that becasue the 2 relaly do conflict don't they. I'm having tons of problems forcing myself to study. IN terms of deterication, I pratically live at the ER here, used to work for it for a few years, volunteer and attend journal clubs and even some other research meetings, that's what I meant by dedication.

The update for my options is to push it back until June 15th or to a later date.

6. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hate to break it to u but volunteer work means nothing if u have a low gpa and bad mcat score to boot. read wat i said before.

7. jmart

jmart Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i know it means nothing but I dicussed with someone on the board and they said that one real strength is I have the experience to know what I'm getting myself into with all of my exposure. That was the pt I was trying to make. Volunteer work certainly won't make or break you and it doesn't count for much.