MCAT Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

I need advise regarding taking the August MCAT. I took the April test and was not satisfied with the results (V10, P 6, B 8, Q). However, I don't realistically have the time to study intensively for the August test.

I am a returning student (age 33) applying exclusively to osteopathic programs and I have several interesting extracurricular experiences (4 years EMT, 4 years paramedic, winner of several prestigious collegiate medical device design competitions, recipient of several college scientific research awards, US and international patents, started 3 venture capital funded biomedical and pharmaceutical companies, 3 publications in medicine and anthropology).

I received my undergraduate double major in biology with departmental honors (not honors program) and anthropology (GPA 3.2, Science 3.1.... very poor performance year 1 and 2 of 7 year college tenure). Anthropology masters (MA GPA 3.9 all non-science classes). In addition I hope that I have good letters of recommendation.

I believe that I can demonstrate a commitment to the medical sciences and that there is some coherency to my experiences.

Do you believe that this is a solid enough record to get accepted to programs like Michigan State, Ohio University, PCOM, CCOM? Should I apply now and see what happens? Should I wait until next April and take the MCAT again and apply? Any advice would be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

The 6 will hurt but MAY be compensated for by your age and extensive medical experience. I would apply and see what happens. That is, if you can afford all the supplemental application fees and traveling to interviews with the possibility of having to do it all over again. I know MSU and OU have relatively high MCAT averages and highly favor their own state residents. PCOM and CCOM may be a little more flexible. Your best bet may be your own state school or one of the newer ones. If your GPA trend shows continuous improvement that will also be in your favor.