MCAT Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[email protected]

nothing here
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Is it recommended to take the MCAT more than once? If not, how do you guys start preparing for the MCAT?

2. Is it recommended to take a Kaplan course? I heard ExamKrackers is a good review, but are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Is it recommended to take the MCAT more than once? If not, how do you guys start preparing for the MCAT?

2. Is it recommended to take a Kaplan course? I heard ExamKrackers is a good review, but are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

+1 to Gryhu. Wrong forum.

Anyhow:

1. A huge number of applicants have taken it twice. Most of the rest have taken it once. A small percentage have taken it 3+ times. Generally, 2 is fine (almost normal). Even up to 3 is usually not questioned, assuming you are going up (or at least remaining the same) every time. Any more than that and it raises eyebrows quite often.

2. This is personal preference. Based on what I've heard, TPR may be a better course than Kaplan, but Kaplan gives more sample problems/questions/exams. ExamKrackers is generally considered the best non-official-course way to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. You want to nail this test in one go. Give it your all and don't plan for a retake.

2. Teacher quality differs from area to area too much to tell you which class to choose.

Hello Everyone,

While I am not new to SDN, this is the first time I have really used the site. (Can you believe it, after a year of joining)?! I was hoping someone can help me decide whether it is better to take Kaplan or Princeton for MCAT review. I will be taking the MCAT in Fall of 2010 or early in 2011, so I have a lot of time to decide. I have already bought a Kaplan master review book, just to get a head start.

Any advice on which program to choose?

kaplan... we require higher scores from instructors and maintain more stringent excellence standards...

Hello Everyone,

While I am not new to SDN, this is the first time I have really used the site. (Can you believe it, after a year of joining)?! I was hoping someone can help me decide whether it is better to take Kaplan or Princeton for MCAT review. I will be taking the MCAT in Fall of 2010 or early in 2011, so I have a lot of time to decide. I have already bought a Kaplan master review book, just to get a head start.

Any advice on which program to choose?

It differs based on area. Some places have better Kaplan teachers, others have better TPR teachers. Ask students in YOUR area. In terms of the non-variable factors:

Kaplan:
- Better CBTs (1-6)
- Solid online practice material
- By far the weakest content review books

TPR:
- Practice tests not great
- Very good content review and practice books (not sure about online practice material)