MCAT after sophomore year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dayfed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was just wondering if any of you have taken the MCAT the summer after your Sophomore year. I'm taking Organic and Physics at the same time this year, with Biology already done. I will not have Physiology, Genetics, or Micro by the time I am done with this year, but I've heard that it's pretty easy to learn that on your own.

I'm just thinking this way would be the easiest, because it will all be very fresh in my mind, and I'd have the whole summer to study, rather than taking classes with it.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

i thought about it, but decided to wait. the following year i took genetics, biochem, and physiology. i am so much more grateful I did. its easy to say "ill just learn it on my own" but the truth is, I cant tell you how many times i sat in the exam and something from one of my classes popped into my head. plus, itll give you a perspective you wont find in your review books, and this will definitely help you in the long run.

I just finished my sophomore year and am taking the MCAT in a month or so. If I were you, I would take it this summer so that orgo and physics are still fresh in your mind--this will help alot. All the genetics stuff on the MCAT I had already learned in the biology pre req. Ive taken many practice tests and havent seen any biochem... The only thing that I felt like I hadnt learned about is physiology, but they describe it in plenty of detail in my mcat review book.

Anyway, take the mcat this summer. Its your best option. You will be so relieved when its over and you have it done early.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I was just wondering if any of you have taken the MCAT the summer after your Sophomore year. I'm taking Organic and Physics at the same time this year, with Biology already done. I will not have Physiology, Genetics, or Micro by the time I am done with this year, but I've heard that it's pretty easy to learn that on your own.

I'm just thinking this way would be the easiest, because it will all be very fresh in my mind, and I'd have the whole summer to study, rather than taking classes with it.

What do you guys think?

All else being equal, I would wait. The whole "material being fresh on your mind" strategy delivers what I believe to be a false sense of security. The MCAT is as much about problem solving and test taking strategy as it is about content. You need to have a dedicated period of time to take practice tests. Having taken Physiology, Genetics and Micro is also a plus as there's emphasis on all three.

What do you guys think?
I think the best time to take the MCAT is when you are ready to take it. This means having completed a year each of the four pre-reqs (which you have done) and having studied on your own for 2-3 months during a period when you will not be burdened by other responsibilities that eat up too much of your time. It sounds like this summer would be a fantastic time for you to prepare. In that case, do it. You don't need to have physiology, genetics, or micro for the MCAT. They won't hurt, but there is a reason why only bio, gen chem, organic, and physics are listed by the AAMC as MCAT pre-reqs: you don't NEED any other classes to do well on the MCAT. Best of :luck: to you. :)

Well, except for Dr. Bowtie up there, everyone I've known that has taken the MCAT The summer after their sophomore year has retaken it at least once, including me. I had your same mindset (things being fresh) but in the long run, I don't think it was worth it. All the advanced bio I took during my junior year really made a difference, especially since I'm a chem major. "Learning stuff on your own" really takes motivation and determination.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

A lot of people say that they had to retake it after taking it when you plan. Which means you can retake and not be behind. With the whole summer to prepare, you should be able to do fine. I'm not saying take it without worrying about doing well, but on the off chance you don't, you can always take it when most people do.