MCAT ANAL-ysis, wut do u think??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nerves79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took the damn exam 3 times. My scores were 20, 21 and then a 24. will the adcoms just look at my last score or will they look at all 3 scores and question why i did so poorly the first 2 times? Are they gonna look at it as negative or positive that i took it 3 times? Are they going to think that i put in hard work and i got better scores at each attempt. or will they think that i should have gotten a much higher score in my 3rd attempt. its just that i sucked in verbal, i got a 6..howver i got a 8 in physical and 10 in bio.

Members don't see this ad.

They won't look at it at all. Instead they draw names out of hats to see who they will interview.:rolleyes:

Is English your first language? I think a 6,8,10 is maybe okay at some schools. Give it a try. I wish you the best.

We've all heard stories of people getting in with lower numbers, generally they are the exception, but still the same they are getting in. Keep us posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will look at all your scores but mostly at your latest one. I took it twice, the first time was really bad and the second time was much better. Nothing was said about my first score. Actually come to think of it nothing was said about my scores at all.

Oh and I also got a 6, but mine was in PS. I hated Physics!!!!!!! Luckly my other scores were great so the 6 didn't sink me.

I took the test 3 times as well....I have had a few interviews and NEVER had anyone ask me about my scores. Go fig..I was prepared for that!

I think that it depends on the school. I've heard that some schools look at the best score on an individual section out of all the tests that you've taken, others look at the most recent only, and others look at the highest total. You should contact your schools of interest to see how they do it. Personally, I took the test twice after talking to admissions officers at the two schools I applied to. One school said that they will only look at the highest and the other said they would only look at the most recent, even if I lowered my score. Good luck.

I had a friend whom took the exam twice and scored a 25 the second time yet was accepted to several schools and offered interviews at 7 schools, although he declined several. I think you shall be fine so long as your GPA is decent and you have some EC's. You neglected to mention what composes the remainder of your application.

Herp

well, english is not my first language..its my second..do you think i could use that as an excuse for poor verbal scores in my interview if they asked?? i got a 6 in the verbal section. I really think that this was the factor why i didn't do that well in verbal..even though i'm pretty fluent in english and i was able to read those bio passages to get a 10. i've heard DO schools focus mostly on the sciences section of the MCAT and less on that pointless verbal section..is that true?

Just remember, you dont want excuses, you want explanations. If you act as though your scores are acceptable, other people might also.

Originally posted by nerves79
pointless verbal section

btw, that 'pointless verbal section' causes more stress than anything else in a pre-med's journey, hands down. never underestimate its effect, just on your own psyche. it has broken plenty of people, and anything around 7 is actually pretty good.

Originally posted by nerves79
well, english is not my first language..its my second..do you think i could use that as an excuse for poor verbal scores in my interview if they asked?? i got a 6 in the verbal section. I really think that this was the factor why i didn't do that well in verbal..even though i'm pretty fluent in english and i was able to read those bio passages to get a 10. i've heard DO schools focus mostly on the sciences section of the MCAT and less on that pointless verbal section..is that true?

I also received a 6 in my Verbal, though English IS my first language. In my case, I ran out of time with 2 sections remaining (randomly guessed on those). Did you finish the verbal section, or did you run out of time?

Perhaps the best course of action is to stay positive and read more. If an interviewer asks you about your verbal score, tell him/her that you are taking measures to become a better reader (or something like that). ;)