MCAT and scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the minimum MCAT score one would need to get a hefty scholarship for pod school? 28-29-30? I know it depends on the school, but what is your best guess?

Also if you apply with a 29-30+ are you pretty much going to be accepted within a week of your interview if you also have good grades?

Members don't see this ad.

You will get a much better answer for this question if you contact the schools you are interested in attending. Scholarships can change year to year depending on government and alumni funding.

There's a packet that the schools sent out awhile back that indicates the maximum MCAT scores for a certain matriculating year (I think it was 2010). Across the schools I believe the maxes ranged in the 28-31s approximately. If MCAT scores are a partial-basis for the scholarship then I'll let you draw what conclusions you want to from this information.

I would caution you against making a decision solely on the basis of a non-renewable scholarship and recommend you take the total cost of the school into account. Some of the schools do offer renewable scholarships and some of these scholarships are very generous. However, my understanding of them is that they are extremely competitive (for example - a 4.0). Two schools offered me "hefty" scholarships and I am not attending either of them.

One more thought - its often assumed that scholarships have to decrease throughout the application cycle as they are awarded to students. You'll have to contact the schools to find out what's left.