MCAT..another should I take it now or not...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikhillah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post on SDN! Awesome resource, can't believe I havn't found out about it for so long. Anyway questions:

My MCAT is this Friday the 31st and I'm kinda worried. I've been taking timed kaplan and AAMCA practice exams and I'm scoring 25-27's in both types. Only got a 30 once. I know I should be rocking anything 30+ but it's not happening yet.

Should I hope for the best and just take it? Accept scores and retake? Void Scores?

or

Reschedule and take the test the first week of September. After a week of studying.

I've heard that taking it twice will average it out, is that true? I'm leaning towards either rescheduling or taking it and voiding. lmk what y'all think!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Just take it! dont worry i scored low on practices but extremely well on the real one.

You can't reschedule at this point. You've lost your money either way. Take it and if you feel terrible, void it

Members don't see this ad :)
First post on SDN! Awesome resource, can't believe I havn't found out about it for so long. Anyway questions:

My MCAT is this Friday the 31st and I'm kinda worried. I've been taking timed kaplan and AAMCA practice exams and I'm scoring 25-27's in both types. Only got a 30 once. I know I should be rocking anything 30+ but it's not happening yet.

Should I hope for the best and just take it? Accept scores and retake? Void Scores?

or

Reschedule and take the test the first week of September. After a week of studying.

I've heard that taking it twice will average it out, is that true? I'm leaning towards either rescheduling or taking it and voiding. lmk what y'all think!:thumbup:

I am in the similar situation except my practice scores are slightly lower...

If you're shooting for an MD program, it's best to take the test, but make SURE you void. You should void regardless of how you feel since that's generally a poor indicator.

my bad about the starting a thread in the wrong section...newbie

yeah I guess i'll take it and void if i feel terrible about it. turns out the reason im missing questions is not reading in depth and forgetting equations...CRAM time:scared:

I disagree with the people above.
If you VOID you need to take it in January, because in a week it is not likely you raise your score by 5 points. Also, you maybe void it then take it again in a week, and maybe you void-ed a better score.
Don't VOID a test unless you get sick during the test or leave a lot of answers blank. How you feel is nothing to do with the test.
Almost everybody feel they did terrible then they receive a decent score.
Also your score depend on the curve, and you feel it was a crappy test most likely there are others who feel the same.
Take the test apply to DO schools, and take it again in January and you will see if you want to start DO school or wait a year for an MD acceptance.

If you VOID you need to take it in January, because in a week it is not likely you raise your score by 5 points. Also, you maybe void it then take it again in a week, and maybe you void-ed a better score.
Don't VOID a test unless you get sick during the test or leave a lot of answers blank. How you feel is nothing to do with the test.
Also your score depend on the curve, and you feel it was a crappy test most likely there are others who feel the same.

I agree. My opinion would be to not void the test unless you feel ill or don't complete many passages. Despite feeling like it didn't go well, you could still come out with a good score!

Take the test apply to DO schools, and take it again in January and you will see if you want to start DO school or wait a year for an MD acceptance.

what if i been gettin flat 20s on my last two AAMCs?? I dont think DO schools is possible for now.

Why wait til January? I was planning to retake it near the end of August for the 2010 cycle since I've already turned in my AACOMAS.

Yeah, just take it in August or September, you can still get in for 2010. Your chances may not be as good if you had taken it earlier, but people still get in with late apps regardless of what anyone says.

Since AMCAS will automatically get the score if i dont void, so I wonder if AACOMAS will know my score if i dont void?

Since AMCAS will automatically get the score if i dont void, so I wonder if AACOMAS will know my score if i dont void?

MCAT Records Results from the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) are required for applicants seeking admission to the colleges of osteopathic medicine. Examinations are given on multiple dates throughout the year, and special accommodations are available for individuals with disabilities or special needs.

MCAT scores are NOT automatically forwarded to AACOMAS. Please visit the AAMC's web site at http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat, log into the MCAT Testing History system and select AACOMAS as a recipient of your scores to ensure that your scores will be transmitted to AACOMAS. Your MCAT is transmitted electronically to AACOMAS and is linked to your AACOMAS record using your full name and the eight-digit MCAT/AAMC number assigned when you register for the MCAT. Be sure that you accurately enter the eight-digit MCAT/AAMC number – providing the wrong number will delay the transmission of your application to the colleges.
All colleges of osteopathic medicine require the current MCAT. Refer to the College Information Book for specific requirements of each college about how old your MCAT scores may be and if a college accepts the January MCAT for current year admissions. If you have not already taken the MCAT, AACOMAS will process your application materials without MCAT scores. Your Applicant Profile will be updated later, upon receipt of official scores.

Thanks for the fast response!

Does that mean if I can take it and score it as many times as I want, and end up only submitting the best score to AACOMAS?