1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

mcat august 2007 for august 2008 matriculation?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by synth, Mar 12, 2007.

1. kevinnbass

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is writing the MCAT in August 2007 cutting it too close to apply for August 2008 matriculation into MSTP? Some people are telling me that is cutting it too close; others tell me to get all my other materials in, then have the scores sent as soon as I get them, and I should be fine.

What do you think?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Not really, now that scores are released in what, 3 weeks after the test?

3. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Personally, I think its too late, especially for MSTP. Lets say that all your schools are waiting for is you MCAT and you take it in august (I don't know which august date you signed up for so I'm going to asswume mid-august). Your test scores come back in mid-september and at that same time schools that have your primary send out secondaries. So you get them, lets say the last week of september. Then depending on how many schools you apply to it takes you at least a couple of weeks to fill them out. Its now mid october. I think eveyone will agree that this is late, espeically for MSTP where so few people are taken and the applicant pool is strong. You may be a very strong applicant but you didn't get the interviews you should have becuase the interview spots were already almost full.
    I think for MD only if you aren't applying to super-competitive rolling admissions schools then you would be fine, but in this case I think you should take the MCAT earlier if at all possible or delay application.

4. mtlove

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I am applying this year, so I am not the best to answer this question. I would recommend that you take the test earlier. I registered for the January MCAT this year, but I voided my scores because I was very ill. Fortunately, I have more time to retake the test. You can never plan ahead for things that might pop up and prevent you from taking the test or doing as well as you expect. If you wait until last minute to take the test, you will not have the opportunity to do as I did and you might have to delay your application for a year.

Good luck with your application/test!