OP
A

appleluver7

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
51
0
Status
Pre-Medical
breck said:
:scared: :scared:

If your reading comprehension is so tight how come you claimed that I said Chicago students have an equal chance at SIU when that is nowhere to be found in my post?? You were so confident it was there that you said this assertion is "plain dumb" and "you are deluding yourself".
All I can say is that I enjoy using hyperbole to flame bait.
 
OP
A

appleluver7

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
51
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Rafa said:
The OP is full of cowpies. SIU has a preference for applicants interested in rural medicine since that's a part of their focus/mission. It doesn't mean they "hate" Chicagoans, and it doesn't mean all Chicagoans see So.linoisers as "hicks". Whenever you see one person implying that large numbers of "other" people unanimously think the same way, it's usually a situation of an inferiority complex at best and a prejudice at worst. In this case, it seems as if the OP just thinks she won't get into SIU, and is busily trying to pin the future blame on someone/something else.
I think your RC could use a little work too. I never said SIU Admissions "hate" Chicagoans. I think I said that they have a preference for S. IL. I think I also said that people from Chicago often "hate" S and C ILers. This, I do believe is true. It is Ok to make generalizations sometimes...and I'm doing that based on my own personal knowledge. Of course it could be wrong, but I don't have a problem doing it because I don't think I'm all that off base. It's the classic big city versus small town mentality. Big city folks think they are better, or at the very least, more sophistocated than small town people.
 

MollyMalone

I'm a Score Quadruplet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
5,796
20
45
The anterosuperior branch of the inferomedial some
Status
appleluver7 said:
All I can say is that I enjoy using hyperbole to flame bait.
Congratulations! You too can succeed in the easiest sport of all time!

What are your other hobbies? Stealing candy from babies and shooting fish in barrels?
 
About the Ads

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
5,168
139
Status
Resident [Any Field]
appleluver7 said:
I think your RC could use a little work too. I never said SIU Admissions "hate" Chicagoans. I think I said that they have a preference for S. IL. I think I also said that people from Chicago often "hate" S and C ILers. This, I do believe is true. It is Ok to make generalizations sometimes...and I'm doing that based on my own personal knowledge. Of course it could be wrong, but I don't have a problem doing it because I don't think I'm all that off base. It's the classic big city versus small town mentality. Big city folks think they are better, or at the very least, more sophistocated than small town people.

All I know is that you have had some messed up experiences. To generalize an entire city based on YOUR personal experiences is pretty damn arrogant.
 

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
5,168
139
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Where is Jackie?
 

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
2,343
5
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
appleluver7 said:
Big city folks think they are better, or at the very least, more sophistocated than small town people.
Yes, big city folks think they're "better" than those po' dum' country folk. And you know that how? Did you travel to Chicago and interview Chicagoans, pen in hand and notepad at the ready? Or did you just have a bad experience or two with people who happened to be from Chicago, and extrapolate your judgement to paint all people from the northern section of the state - and indeed, all people from large cities - to be snobs? Because if you did - and judging from your posts, it looks like you did - then that makes *you* the snob. Not the masses of people you're stereotyping.
 
OP
A

appleluver7

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
51
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Rafa said:
Yes, big city folks think they're "better" than those po' dum' country folk. And you know that how? Did you travel to Chicago and interview Chicagoans, pen in hand and notepad at the ready? Or did you just have a bad experience or two with people who happened to be from Chicago, and extrapolate your judgement to paint all people from the northern section of the state - and indeed, all people from large cities - to be snobs? Because if you did - and judging from your posts, it looks like you did - then that makes *you* the snob. Not the masses of people you're stereotyping.
Generalizing is a part of life...you can't live without making generalizations. I did it, so kill me. But at least I tell it how it is.

I suppose you wouldn't believe an anthropologist on this issue either. Those swishy people don't know **** about culture!
 

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
5,168
139
Status
Resident [Any Field]
appleluver7 said:
Generalizing is a part of life...you can't live without making generalizations. I did it, so kill me. But at least I tell it how it is.

I suppose you wouldn't believe an anthropologist on this issue either. Those swishy people don't know **** about culture!
There is a huge difference between the generalizations of an anthropologist. An Anthropologist arrives at his or conclusions through careful studies; you came to yours from your interaction with a group of few people. :thumbdown:
 
About the Ads